Learn whole vocabulary with me.

Hi,

I am going to start a process of vocabulary learning a whole oxford dictionnary
with this forums so if you want to learn whole dictionary then you have to participate with me and the process is as describe following:–

Process: I write a first word of the dictionnary with it’s mean and usage in a sentence then if you see it, read it and learn it then you have to write next word
of the dictionnary with it’s mean and usage in the sentence then I will see it, read it and learn it and this process will be continuously remains day by day.

So, Plz participate with me:-

Start:–

aardvark: an south african pig like animal

I saw an aardvark when I was coming back to my home.

1 Like

Aardwolf: a South African carnivorous quadruped (Proteles lalandii), intermediate between the dogs, hyenas and civits.

Oh no! An aardwolf has eaten my aardvark!

Abacus: An instrument for counting and It’s a first instrument which is developed for counting.

What’s the point of learning the whole dictionary?
Those words you quoted are of no particular use.
As an experienced english learner I advise you that you learn how to deal with more simple words. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think there is no need to learn the whole dictionary. Even if you have a great wish you can’t do it. In order to learn new English words just read the dictionary and choose those words you use in your everyday life. You can write a post telling us about the words you have chosen and we’ll make up sentences with them. :smiley:

1 Like

How about just letting us do this thread if we want to?

Abaft (nautical): backwards, back, behind

The main hatch is abaft the funnel.

1 Like

=take somebody aback=surprise somebody greatly :shock: :shock:

I was taken aback by this exercise! [color=red]a

Tom

MM= Don’t say that I am taking the bloom off the rose–but when you write a word, please also write “a” with it if it is an active part of your vocabulary.

1 Like

I just cant withhold myself from doing this thread :slight_smile:

Your bandage must be abacterial before you apply it on an open wound.

PS: the correction of our posts is highly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abacus: A calculating frame, especially one with sliding balls on wires.

Abaci have for the most part been replaced by electronic calculators, but in Japan (where they are called ‘soroban’) they are still learned by some elementary school children.

A.

Hi LS

I doubt that abacterial is likely to be used this way. I would expect it to be used (especially by medical experts) to describe an ailment which is not caused by or has no significant presence of bacteria.

antibacterial ([color=red]a)
destructive to or inhibiting the growth of bacteria

Nowadays, most liquid soaps are advertised as being antibacterial. It takes about two minutes for the antibacterial components to do their job. Unfortunately, when people wash their hands, they usually wash the soap off sooner than that.

1 Like

Hi, Amy

Thanks again for you corrections :slight_smile:

antibilious
A remedy for the excessive amount of gall in your stomach

I got to get myself some antibilious substance or else I’m going to die.

1 Like

Oops! I just noticed that lovelyjitu already submitted ‘abacus’!

Antidote: A remedy to counteract the effects of a poison; something that relieves, prevents or counteracts.

Watching a Monty Python video is a good antidote to melancholy.

A.

1 Like

abandon
to give up completely

He’s been missing for over ten years now, and we’ve abandoned all hope that he’ll ever be found.

1 Like

abandonee
a person who gets all the advantages when somebody else resigns his rights

I renounced my rights to this cargo in favour of my companion and he became an abandonee

1 Like

[color=red]a

Lower oneself/somebody in dignity.

You must not abase yourself any more by asking for more money.

Tom

abate v.t. To bring down or reduce from a higher to a lower state,
number, or degree; to lessen; to diminish; to contract; to
moderate; to cut short; as, to abate a demand; to abate
pride, zeal, hope.

e.g.We must abate the smoke nuisance in our big cities

[i]Well this way could not be denied. The problem is this how much times the man planed to spend to finish it, and also, when he finished the last words, how can he guarantee that he still keep the first one in mind? I think he would better consider those details before to start.

However, it’s really a courageous activity.[/i]

1 Like

[color=red]a

ashamed and embarrassed

Your criticism left me rather abashed.

Tom

abbreviate ([color=red]a)
to shorten

Tomorrow there will be a test on the meanings of words found in an English dictionary. The scope of the test will be abbreviated, however, and will cover only those words also appearing in this thread. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, Amy

So, you are up ?? :shock:

Amy, I did not understand your use of the word “also” here. Please shed some light on it?

Tom

1 Like

And where is your word, Princess? If you post to this thread, please add the next word and a sample sentence.

– And somebody’s not staying in alphabetical order! I’m going to have to dial 119 for the Lexis Police!

Abate: to reduce in degree or intensity, value or amount, or force.

Three hours after the eye of the typhoon passed through Yokohama, the wind finally abated.

A.

1 Like