MM has clled the police!

1 Like

To all those involved in this activity.

Please keep your new word in the quote to make it prominent. Like this:

[color=blue]

not “a”

a woman who is a head of a convent.

Tom

Well, I wanted to do abalone, MM, but I missed the boat and that one got away. Feel free to use any moderator machinations at your disposal to reel my words back into their proper alphabetical order. :lol:

Tom, I meant that the only words that will appear on the test will be those found in both the dictionary AND in this thread. That was a little joke. In other words, the test won’t cover the whole dictionary – yet. :lol:

Hey! You posted without a word!

Abbey: a monastery ruled by an abbot.

I guess that Westminster Abbey has an abbot about, then.

A.

PS: I’m going away until this thread calms down a bit. We’ll never make it through the OED at this pace without dying of heat prostration!

abbrochment ([color=red]noun)
a crime when you steal something

If you commit an abbrochment you’re going to get grounded for 4 weeks

abduct ([color=red]a)
to seize and take away (as a person) by force; kidnap

I wanted to say that LS had “abducted” my word (abbreviate) and ask whether he was also holding it for ransom, but now I see that he’s found a new word (abbrochment). So, here’s my new sentence:
Some criminals abducted the princess and demanded four million dollars for her release.

abdicate ([color=red]verb)
to relinquish, resign, renounce

I shall abdicate my throne because I cannot deal with what’s going on in my realm any more

PS: Amy, I didn’t mean to abduct your word :wink:

Abduct: to carry off (as a person) by force.

Several Korean humanitarian workers have been abducted by the Taliban.

A.

abdomen
a scientific word for stomach, belly

A driver was having so acute pain in his pendulous abdomen that he had to stop the bus and shoot some anesthetic

O comes before U, LS.

A driver was having so acute a pain in his pendulous abdomen that he had to stop the bus and inject himself with anesthetic.

Hi,

Are you sure you are all using the same dictionary?

All the best

EU

abdicate v. to give up a throne or authority

King Edward VIII abdicated in 1936.

Well I am painting a jellyfish, I would better come here to add one because I think it’s useful for my futural kids XD

Where’s your word, English User?

My OED is too heavy, so I am using my Webster’s Collegiate, which is ready to hand.

Abecedarian (n): one learning the rudiments of something (as the alphabet).

Abecedarians was a nickname given to certain extreme Anabaptists, who regarded the teaching of the Holy Spirit as all that was necessary, and so despised all human learning and even the supposed power of reading the written word.

A

Mister Micawber, thanks for correcting me !

aberrant (adj) means astray, off the course

A rocket on an aberrant course hit the town and blew every building off the face of the earth.

[size=84][corrected by LS][/size]

aberration

the act of departing from the right, normal or usual course

Cancer is an aberration of normal cell division and development.

([color=red]a)

[size=92]
Hi LS

A more typical way of saying what you wrote above would be
Thanks for correcting me.

By the way, can you spot the spelling aberration in your previous post?[/size] :wink:

To help, support, encourage somebody to do something wrong.

[color=red]A

Tom

[size=92]Hi, Amy,

Yeah, I just looked through my previous post and discovered to my horror that I had managed to misspell the word aberrant in 2 places :slight_smile:
[/size]
abeyance (noun)
a state of vagueness, uncertainty

I am in abeyance as to whether they’ll elect me president of the US or not.