Job offer: Teaching English in Neubrandenburg, December 7 through Dec 23, 2009

Hello everyone, we are looking for English trainers for the following course.

Dates: December 7 through December 23, 2009
Times: 8:00 until 4 pm every day, 9 lessons per 45 minutes from Monday through Friday
Purpose: teaching basic business English to beginners/intermediate students
Pay rate: EUR 160 per day

The level of the group is between A1 and B1.

For more information, please contact me here on the forum.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: Which event or development did not strongly influence the history of bread?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Is that right it runs until Dec. 23rd for 2 weeks and 3 days? It seems strange as the others are all 2 weeks.

I am already scheduled to do the Neubrandenburg courses in October and November; I don’t want to monopolize the place completely but if no-one else seems to want this then I am happy to do this one as well.

Just curious though as to why this one is 2 weeks and 3 days rather than the usual 2 weeks?

Richard

Hello Torsten

I’m thinking of moving back out east once I’m finished in Mgladbach so Id be interested in this job if its still and Rick feels like some time off! Let me know.

Thanks

Stefan

Hi Stefan

How about we agree you do the first couple courses of the new year? They seem to be occurring once a month. I’m already scheduled for the October one but perhaps you would like to do that one instead of December? The reason I’d like to add the December one is because I found a good place to rent up there but they won’t do it for just two weeks. Since I am already doing the November one up to the 27th it would be easy just to stay another week and start the December one on the 7th.

What do you think?

R

Richard don’t worry mate you just take all the courses it makes the most sense that way as then you can just stay in Neubrandenburg, plus I can’t take the October course as I’m still here in Mönchengladbach at that point. Thanks for offering to share though.

Cheers

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. It really does make more sense economically - less travel, lower rent, etc. I didn’t realise you were in Mönchengladbach until Oct. Something else in the East will surely come up by that time though - I did Nordhausen last year just before Xmas and it was very nice.

Hi guys, I also wouldn’t mind being involved in this group, maybe we can share it between us, as we know its always good for the students to get a variety of accents, teaching styles as well as faces.
I’m in Neubrandenburg next week so I’ll update you all about it.
Regards
Scott

Hi Scott.

Have you read the previous posts?

I am scheduled for the November one already and, as already mentioned, I can rent a good place if I do the December one as well – but I can’t get it for just two weeks or just two weeks and three days or something.

Plus, while different accents and teaching styles are great, my experience is that WBS in general does not agree with that and certainly would not for such a shout course. They might view that as disruptive and disorganized. Maybe they are different in Neubrandenburg, but I can say that when I taught with them in Cologne last January and February, they were not even comfortable with our suggestion of 3 trainers doing 4 weeks each of a 12-week course – they insisted that if we must split the teaching, it could only be 2 trainers for 6 consecutive weeks at a time.

Anyway, as I already mentioned to Stefan, it would make more sense for me financially to offer up the October course I am scheduled to do to you and keep the November and December courses together as they end and start only a week apart. That is why I expressed interest in this course first.

I think the place you found to rent is a youth hostel in the next town and the place I found is a furnished apartment just around the corner from the course but as I said, I can’t get it for just two weeks – minimum one-month rentals only. Neubrandenburg seems to be very pricey for accommodation in general so this is really too good to pass up.

Perhaps you would you be interested in renting this apartment instead of the hostel, I’m pretty sure it’s free right now and the rent is something like 360 a month - furnished.

Also, these courses seem to be occurring with great frequency so I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the New Year.

I’ll be of course watching your forum posts for the September course with great interest.

Hi Richard,
Sorry I hadn’t read the earlier posts I was answering to make sure we have cover.
Of course I understand the fact you have rented the apartment, but for me I’m only there for 2 weeks so the hostel is good enough.
Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott

Great. Thanks. If any of these courses pop-up again for the New Year I promise to wait - for a few days at least :slight_smile: - before expressing interest. Let’s just do a really good job up there and perhaps they will appear even more frequently.

So can you confirm this one Torsten so I can make reservations?

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes this course has been confirmed too.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and her student[YSaerTTEW443543]

Many thanks Torsten!

BTW - I assume this one is at the same place as the others - any reason it is 3 days longer? Are there etra tests or something perhaps?

Thanks again

R

Hi Torsten

Your job offer in Neubrandenburg (commencing on 7 Dec) looks very attractive and I would very much like to accept it. Unfortunately, my last day in Cologne is Nov 13 and the resulting gap of 3 weeks seems to be quite long. If I only had something to fill those three weeks! But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, I will take it on.

Best regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf

Please read the previous posts. I have already confirmed this course.

Best regards
Richard

Hi Richard,
do you at the moment in Neubrandenburg?

Lars

Hi Rolf

I am already scheduled for this one. they may have something in the new year though.

Best regards
Richard

Hi Lars

How are you? Yes I am working now in NB so it’s a bit too far to travel down to NH. I will be coming up here again Dec 6 to 23 so i don’t think i will make it down there. I miss you all though and remember fondly our weekend trips into the Harz.

Hi to all :slight_smile:

We began Monday morning with a warm-up writing activity – the students did a summary review of the movie they watched on Friday (Born to be Wild 2007), staring John Travolta and Tim Allan. From the reviews it sounded quite funny. We continued with a review of the present continuous using the language of feelings and emotions.

We then continued on with Unit 13 from New Headway Elementary which focuses on indentifying adjectives and adverbs and using them properly. We did a lot of practice sentences.

On Tuesday we continued with the lesson and introduced the gerund for rteh first time which took some explaining but in the end the students began to understand why annoying was different from annoyed. I put a simple formula on the board for those that needed one … because the ……… is/are …….ing, the wo/man was …….ed for regular verbs. This seemed to clear things up for now.

We then did a red riding hood type story to practice using adverbs of feeling and the students re-told the story in the past tense and then told the class their own story. This was followed by a sentences (12) in a hat game.

On Wednesday, we started with a short holiday storey puzzle from Reward resource Elementary. We the did a talk about past vacations before we started the last unit from NHE Have You Ever which introduced the present perfect with ever, never, yet and just for talking about travel. The last part of the unit contrasts the past simple with present perfect.

On Thursday, we finished the last unit on NHE which had no particular Grammar focus and used a song (Leaving on a Jetplane) and some travel situations to practice travel vocabulary.

On Friday, we reviewed more of the present perfect talking about lifetime achievements and then and began reviewing all the units to prepare for the final test. I used some material from World English 1 – a brand new series just released from Thomson-Heinle ELT which includes video segments from National Geographic.

We had some fun with these and I had the students write down specific points and then form questions to ask other students questions. The Movie for the afternoon was Catch me if you Can which fortunately, has a small Christmas scene.