Is "in the Independence Day amnesty" grammatical?

The regime freed 9,652 inmates in the Independence Day amnesty on January 4 but the two models were not among them.

Is “in the Independence Day amnesty” grammatical?

Thanks.

1 Like

Students ages 13 and older in the United States and the United Kingdom, and 16 and older elsewhere, can comment. All comments are moderated by the Learning Network staff.

Can “aged” replace “ages”?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

I would say:

• 'Under the terms of the Myanmar Independence Day amnesty on January 4th, 9652 inmates were freed, but the two models were not among them.

Independence Day amnesty is grammatically correct. It is a pardon or release of prisoners by a government on the occasion of the country’s Independence Day.’

P.S.: I do believe this happened in Myanmar, right?

@Kohyoongliat Hi Koohyoongliat, I’m sorry that I had to change the structure so many times, but I wanted to compose the best possible sentence for you.

1 Like

Yes, ‘ages’ can be replaced by ‘aged’.

• Students aged 13 and older in the US and the United Kingdom are allowed to comment. (Assuming that the law gives permission to adolescents from the age of 13 and beyond that to make comments).
2 Likes

Capitalization also becomes grammar!
To me, it should have been: Independence Day Amnesty. (Year)

2 Likes

Yes, you are right, @Kohyoongliat.
It should be ‘aged’.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, but if we must dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s, we also have to be realistic: I mean a language can’t be cut into slices with a rocker pizza cutter. Besides the rules of grammar are man-made and not arbitrary. Nevertheless, if you insist on compartmentalizing languages, then I’d say the capitalization of ‘D’ is a matter of spelling. Paying a great deal of attention to the details of something is an admirable quality. Fortunatelty or unfortunately, not all of us have it and I don’t think I have to say ‘sorry’ for it. After all, give me someone who has never made a mistake and I’ll give you someone who has never lived properly.

2 Likes

Here is my suggestion: Students aged 13 and over in the US and UK are eligible to comment.

1 Like

Yes, that’s better. Thank you.

1 Like