Introduce myself

Hi !

My name is theo. I’m French. It’s the first time i send an e mail to the forum. I’d like to improve my writting skills. I hope i will share ideas with others english learners. I enjoy watching english original version movies to practise english. I hope i will participate to many conversations through the forum and get in contact with new friends.

I look forward to receiving your messages.

Many thanks

Theo

Hi Theo,

It is very nice to see you. You are right, forum is a great tool to practice English skills, alongside making new friends. I would like to be one of your friends. I hope that we can help each other to practice English and at the same time, learn new things. Watching American and English movies is a good idea to improve our listening skills and pick up new phrases, however, I find it sometimes very difficult to understand what is being said because people often speak quite fast and use a lot of slang. Have you ever watched a Vietnamese film?

Oh I almost forget. Let me introduce something about me. I am from Vietnam, a small country by the side of the Pacific Ocean. I am a student. I am quite sure that you know my country because it used to be one of French colonies for a long time. But it was in the past.

Some of my friends who learn French said that French is quite similar to English and there are quite a number of English words borrowed from French. So I just wonder whether or not being a French gives you an advantage over other learners when it comes to learning English. Please share with me your thoughts.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Anh

P.S. The only French words I know are ‘hello’ and ‘thank you’ so I would like to say “bonjour” :slight_smile:

Hi Anh !

It’s nice to read your message. You’re my first contact in the forum. It’s kind of you saying “bonjour”. I’m impressed, your english sounds so fluent. May I ask you how long you’ve been learning english ? You’re wright i’ve heard about vietnam. I’m sorry but i haven’t seen a vietnamese movie yet. I agree there are quite a lot of similar words in english and french. For example “film” is used in both languages; further more many words are closed, like “actor” in english and “acteur” in french. it’s sometimes helpful for me to learn such words. But i have also to take care because there are words not meaning the same, like “regard” which means “looking” in french.
Let me tell you more about my life. I live 20 km from Paris.I’m married and i’m a father of a 16 months old daughter. She’s started walking since a week. My wife and i feel very proud of her.
Could you please tell me about your studies ?
How do you say “hello” in vietnamese ?
I wish I would read you soon.

Regards.

Theo

Hi there,
My name is Mohammed Forhad.
I am 33 years old.
I am from Bangladesh and live in New York.
I am interested in Dentistry and English language.
My favorite game is cricket and soccer. This year Bangladesh is hosting the World cup cricket. Welcome to Bangladesh, to see the spectacular cricket matches.
My concern is to improve spoken english as well as well the writing english. So, anybody shares the same feelings reply me. May be we can work together.
This is a big canvas provided by Test net to draw our own feelings of language.
Thanks to all.

Hi Theo, i am Rai from indonesia. I want improve my english for get master scholarship in french…can you tell me about study in french? and discuss anything about french… but i am so sorry if my engslih so bad…:slight_smile:

nice to meet you…

Hi Theo,

I am glad to hear from you and I want to say that it is my pleasure to be your first contact on the forum. :slight_smile: Thanks for your interesting information on the English and French language. You have just helped me learn another French words, ‘film’ and ‘acteur’. My older sister learned French three years ago and she told me that French seemed to be more complicated than English. The fact that you have different words for male and female, even it is a table or something like that, is an example. In fact, I do not know much about French, so please correct me if I am wrong.

At the moment, I am trying to improve my English because I am going to graduate in July. It is very nice of you to give me such words of encouragement but I have to say that my English is actually not that good. As for you question, I started to learn English since I was in primary school, in grade 5. It means that I have been learning English for almost 11 years, however, I did not get any English knowledge until I entered university. My goodness! I feel scared of looking at this number.

About my studies, I am a last year student. My major is public health, which is quite new here. It is certainly my advantages and disadvantages as well, you know… There is not many vacancies for my profession. However, I like this major and I will try to be a good social worker. I am currently living with my family in center of Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. There are five members in my family, my parents, my older sister and younger brother and me. However, my sister got married three months ago and now lives in a different district in the city. I am so happy to know that you want to know some Vietnamese words. “Xin chao” means hello in Vietnamese.

I would like to say congratulations. It is lovely to hear that you have a very healthy and cute daughter. You and your wife must be very proud of her. My father told me watching our own kids walk very first steps is one of the most wonderful things in the whole world.

If possible, could you tell me more about you? What do you do and why are you learning English? And like friend Rai from Indonesia, it would be great to know more about student life in France.

Hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,
Anh

Hi Rai,

I just want to say hello. I am Anh, from Vietnam. I am absolutely sure that you know my country very well because both countries are members of ASIAN.

Wish you very success with your English and the scholarship.

Regards, Anh

hey

My name is Moises , i wanto to be your friend. Im mexican, but im living in USA since 2008, my goal is almost like your, practice, learn and made friends in this website.

I hope to be your friend and practice writing skills.

Keep in touch

Hi anh…

very nice to meet you, yes i know about your country, but not very detailed…

Why are you so like public health, anh?
By the way, i had been a field assistant on a research about implementation of early breastfeeding initiation. I think it is relevant with your major, isn’t it? Do you know more about early breastfeeding initiation?

And i think our major have a similarity because both major cover field of social sciences. And i also want to be a good social worker. Oughh…about my study, I am fresh graduate from Bogor Agricultural University (IPB), do you know about this university? My major is communication and community development. its more related with sociology So i want to continue my study in france because my lecturer said to me that the modern sociology were in frence. But my english so bad whereas i studied it since more than 11 years ago…same with you, anh…

Before i improve my french language i want to improve my english. So…i am very greatfull if i can practice my skill english intensively in this forum.

How do you think about my english skill? give me some sugest…please
thank you

Hi moises,

nice to met you…

lets practice english together in this forum.

i am from indonesia, do you know about my lovely country?

you can ask to me about my country if you want and would you like to tell me about your cuontry? please…

i am sorry if i make mistake and my english so bad

thanks,

Hello Theo,
Nice to meet you here. I like your French Language very much. I tried to know some basic skills of French. But the pronunciation seems very difficult to me.
Marci

Macs

Hi. I am Anna. So glad to be here It is the first time i am sending here a message. I am really good at the English language but i want to communicate with as many learners and native speakers as possible. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a lot

Hi. Theo. I am Ana. I am Armenian. Glad to meet you in thr forum. I have been in this forum for about a few months. But this is the first time i am posting and sending here a message. will be glad to contact you we will share new ideas about how to improve things concerning language

Hi
My name is Angelos .
I’m from Madagascar
I’m taking this course to perform my knowledge in english .
Thank you

Hi Angelos,

I think you mean to ‘improve my knowledge of English’. It would be interesting to hear something about Madagascar on one of our forums.

Alan

Hi Ana !

Thank you for your message. I 'd like to speak about how i’m trying to improve my english. I try to practise every day but i don’t have enough opportunities. At work I only speak french. That why I listen as often as possible bbc radio. Specially i enjoy radio 4 and 7 because they broadcast stories. Last week i liked a programme about Queen Victoria’s life.
Please give me your opinion about listening english on radio.

Bye Bye

Theo

Hello, Miss Raisita.

I know may be this my message might come to you not good a surprise because we didn’t have a contact before. But for me this is nice to met you at english-test.net. I’m a man. My name is Ahmed; I am 35 years old. I am from Yemen.
I am very happy because you are from Indonesia, Your country is very beautiful and I like it . I been in Jakrata ,Bali an in alik baban at July 2007. Your country has impressed weather and the culture of Indonesians, that I hope to be returning to your country again. In my planning of God established I want to visit your country during the next three months. I invite you to connect with me please, I would you like to discuss with you more things about your country. I think our contact will be good o be improve our english and make friendship with you. Because I would like to have an Indonesian friend.

Thank you and sincerely,
Ahmed

Hello, Miss Raisita.

I know may be this my message might come to you not good a surprise because we didn’t have a contact before. But for me this is nice to met you at english-test.net. I’m a man. My name is Ahmed; I am 35 years old. I am from Yemen.
I am very happy because you are from Indonesia, Your country is very beautiful and I like it . I been in Jakrata ,Bali an in alik baban at July 2007. Your country has impressed weather and the culture of Indonesians, that I hope to be returning to your country again. In my planning of God established I want to visit your country during the next three months. I invite you to connect with me, I would you like to discuss with you more things about your country. I think our contact will be good o be improve our english and make friendship with you. Because I would like to have an Indonesian friend.

Thank you and sincerely,
Ahmed (smw_hmd@mail.ru)

Xin chao Anh !

I beleive for non native speakers french is more difficult than english. It’s true that we use different words for male or female. As example “the” can be translated both “le” (male) or “la” (female) in french. “The man and the woman” means “le homme et la femme” in french.For french people i think one particular difficult about english deals with phrasal verbs. I’m definitely bad at learning them.
Thank you for your congratulations about my daughter. I’m impressed by your father wisdom concerning “watching our own kids walk very first steps”. You’re lucky having advices and discussing with him.
I’m sure you’ll be gaduated by the year end. As i feel at reading you that you’re so conscientious.
I completed my studies ten years ago. I was graduated from a business school. Currently i’m working for a french bank on credit risk management as projet manager. My job consists in helping to implement regulators rules within the bank. Rules oblige banks to account provisions to face potential defaults from their customers. If they don’t respect rules banks could pay fines. I need to improve my english knowledge because starting next month i may have to work with foreigners speaking only english.
What to say about students in french. Universities are opposed to business and engineering schools as studies are cheaper at university. But after being graduated from university you hardly find a job. Meanwhile studies are expensive in schools (many students can’t afford to pay) and graduates are offered many jobs by companies.

May i ask what are your hobbies ?

See you soon

Kind regards
Theo

Hi Rai !

Your english looks good for me. France is a nice country so are studies. There are many foreign students from all countries over the world. Most of universities and schools have partnerships with foreign ones. French people are keen on rating universities. Sometimes students have to pass an exam to join best ranking universities or schools.
There are cultural events arranged for students like visiting museums. I don’t know if you heard about versailles castle. It’s a magnificent place built by one of the most famous french king. A student friend told me she visited it on december thanks to the university where she is studying.
I wish you good luck for the master scholarchip in french. Dont’ hesitate to ask me any question about french.

Regards

Theo