In this sentence, which pronoun should I use? 'one younger sister and I' or 'one younger sister and me' to be strictly grammatical?

There are seven members in my family. They are my father, my mother, two elder brothers, one elder sister, one younger sister and I(or)me.

4 Likes

I do think the second sentence is grammatically correct but it doesnā€™t sound very natural. Why not simply list the family members following the first sentence?

3 Likes

They are my father, my mother, two elder brothers, one elder sister, one younger sister and I(or)me.".

I would use ā€œmeā€.

5 Likes

Both are possible. ā€˜Meā€™ is certainly more popular while ā€˜Iā€™ is considered more formal.

5 Likes

Hi Thura_Hun, I suggest you merge your sentences as follows:

There are seven members in my family: my father, my mother, two elder brothers, an elder and a younger sister and I(or)me.

I agree with Torsten that me is less formal than I.

3 Likes

Thura_Htun

To be strictly grammatical, it should be the first as in: One younger sister and I accompanied my (our) uncle. (If you want to begin a sentence with that phrase).

But if the phrase comes as an object, the second would be grammatical: My uncle took one (my) younger sister and me to the shopping mall.

4 Likes

I agree with both, Sir Kohyoongliat and Sir Anglophile. ā€œIā€ is a subject pronoun needs a verb but ā€œmeā€ is an object pronoun needs no verb.

3 Likes

Hi both of you,

I merely stated that ā€˜meā€™ was less formal than ā€˜Iā€™ and I donā€™t see any problem with that.

4 Likes

By the way, I wish I had a sibling, only one, not four. I think that would be too much for me to handle, given the fact that I am a member of what one calls a functional, dysfunctional family. :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh and Mona_Rmzi

Do me favour and stop addressing male members with ā€˜Sirā€™. If you were to call me that way, I think I would become as venomous as that cat avatar of yours. :rage:

2 Likes

You may please avoid prefixing or suffixing ā€˜Sirā€™ to Anglophile which is my pseudonym.

3 Likes

Excuse me, what is the difference if it is your true or pseudonym? ā€œSirā€ is only for respect. What is the problem, exactly?
Many thanks

3 Likes

Hahahahaā€¦ Hello, If you do not mind, could you please told me why? About my avatar, the nice balck cat is not venomous, it is only angry. Hahahahaā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Mona_Rmzi,

Actually, thereā€™s nothing wrong with you being respectful, however, considering the fact that we are all a bit familiar with each other on the forum, you are allowed to be a little less formal. In shops some shop assistants will address you with ā€˜Sir, Madamā€™, however if they know your first name they will address you as follows, for example: ā€˜Hello, Marc.ā€™ Both you and they will get to know each otherā€™s first names after a while and so grow accustomed to it.
Yet, I would recommend ā€˜Sirā€™ and ā€˜Madamā€™ in the salutation of letters of application, because you donā€™t know your possibly future employer. So, you want to write : ā€˜Dear Sir(s), Dear Madam(s)ā€™

3 Likes

Dear Mona,

I was only a bit irritable that day.

2 Likes

No problem, It is OK.

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy you had a great laugh. I know cats arenā€™t venomous, but your avatar shows clearly that yours is angry indeed.

2 Likes

Only that, cats are very nice when they are angry, especially domestic ones.

3 Likes

Does this mean you find it cute after you have teased it a little too much? By the way is it male or female, your cat, I mean, not the avatar.

3 Likes

Looks like your device fell into a homophone trap :slight_smile:

4 Likes