In this sentence, which pronoun should I use? 'one younger sister and I' or 'one younger sister and me' to be strictly grammatical?

Thank you for pointing that out to me, Torsten.

2 Likes

Yes, I do agree that you are being respectful.
But frankly, it is not necessary on an international forum where the normal practice is to address one another by name. I’m not aware of your nationality.
Usually, Asians, particularly Indians, treat others (especially gurus) with deep respect. They show it by addressing them Sir or Madam, which has become traditional.
However, the affixed (written) name really looks unnatural to me as a student of the English language. This is my personal view; please do not take it amiss.
Nevertheless, You are free to address the way you like. And there cannot be any problem. Thank you.

4 Likes

Sometimes cats want only to alert their friends without biting or hurting them. Angry face and gently hitting by their hands without scratching are their ways of expression. But they are nice animals even they are angry. My avatar reminds me of my cat friends who are sometimes angry with me, and because I like them, I can accept angry cats. That is all.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing that information.

2 Likes

On the other hand: you don’t have to watch ‘Dynasty’ to have an attitude.

Song: Kiss by Tom Jones, later covered by Prince.

3 Likes

It is a good chance to ask you a question. I remembered that, when I was a child, we had to call our headmistress which was a nun by “sir” not “lady” so, could we call females in some situations by “sir” instead of “lady”?

3 Likes

That’s strange. I honestely don’t know, but in Dutch we can do that.

1 Like

I do not understand the meaning.

2 Likes

Well, in the eighties ’Dynasty’ was a television series. It was about two extremely wealthy families, The Carringtons and the Colbys. The characters usually spoke to each other very formally and behaved like royalty, although sometimes the men had their occasional rows and fights and the women even had catfights in bedrooms and lily ponds.
It was very popular in many countries. In France they called ’Dynastie’, in Germany ’Der Denver Clan’… I thought it was rather boring, but since my mother watched it I had to be respectful and watch too. I think the catfights between the women were hilarious though.

You can find some scenes on YouTube.

2 Likes

Nowadays, I would say: "You don’t have to watch ’Downton Abbey’ " to have an attitude, but I do so like Maggie Smith.

1 Like

This happens in India too.

4 Likes

Many thanks for replying to me.

2 Likes

Something in me wants to add a full stop to your sentence to make it just perfect :wink: .

2 Likes

Oh, yes. Many thanks.

2 Likes

Actually calling a woman sir?
Amazing…!

2 Likes

Or simply archaic :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, Vivianna I agree. It’s very ambiguous, to say the least of it.

1 Like

It’s very archaic, Torsten.

However in Dutch it’s not archaic. For example, a headmistress of a school should be adressed as:

’Mevrouw de directeur’, literally translated, ’Madam, headmaster’. Simply because there is no female equivalent for ’directeur’, which is a masculin noun. But one must use this expression to address a headmistress.

2 Likes