I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

This final line is not absolutely necessary, but I thought you might like to use it, given your earlier questions about the phrase.

Thank you so much…

okay …
which types of final phrase might be helpful…?

for, instance …
your timely response would be highly appreciated…

Is there any most important & useful in daily business letters?

Hi everibody.
I am glad to enjoin to you. My English is rather bad so I don’t think you will be happy with me.
My name is Ana. I am from Serbia. I am mathematician. I didn’t learn English in school but at some courses and by myself.
I don’t have any excperiance on forum. Today, I spent some time to learn how to deal with it.
Now, here I am. A little time befor I started forum, I learnd grammar through story. I found it very useful.
It is late and I wish good night everyone.
Ana

Hello Nana,
I’m just posting to let you know that u r very, very beautiful.

Hi, Torsten and everybody! It’s my first time here and I’m glad to join you.
I have a question. Some English nouns have two different forms of plurals. For example: cactus – cactuses / cacti, radius – radiuses / radii ….
What form of a plural is more correct to use? Is there any difference in using these plurals?
Thanks a lot. Elena.

Someone has moved my answer to a new thread. See english-test.net/forum/ftopi … of_plurals

1. I look forward to hearing from you.
  2. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Well, I see the matter differently.
In my humble opinion, use of the present continuous tense in #2 for the purpose given in #1 is wrong.

I + the phrasal verb “look forward” “means” that I am happy/pleased/excited because I can count on you, it means your letters, opinion, info or sth or have you as a business partner, and I’m not pleased/happy/excited at this moment only but in general.

I wonder what would use of the present continuous tense suggest. That I am more happy, pleased or excited? It wouldn’t add up, in my opinion.

So, I do not agree that using the present continuous tense suggests either friendliness, friendship, warmth etc but rather either an emergency or just continuation of bouncing the emails off one to another as in #3

1. I am desperately waiting for your prompt answer.

and can not be used with the phrasal verb “look forward”.

Actually, I don’t see “look forward” as a phrasal verb only but an idiomatic expression. Even though the lexical verb “look” and the adverb “forward” make phrasal verb “look forward”, it shouldn’t be conjugated.

1. “I had to look forward to hearing from you.” makes no sense to me.

The same is with #5

1. “I’ll look forward to hearing from you.”

Because of this and some other things, I always say

1. I look forward to hearing from you. and not

2. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

and to cap it all, this is not the phrase friends should use when finishing their letters.
Friends know they are happy for their friendship, and they do not need to be courteous with each other.

I know almost no one would agree with me but…

Despite the assertion of native English speakers?

That paragraph does not make sense to me, sorry.

I can’t understand why you assert that it would suggest such a thing. It doesn’t ‘add up’ because that difference does not exist.

What ‘#3’ are you referring to? Your sentence below? If so, your argument doesn’t seem to match the sentence. The present continuous tense does not necessarily express ANY of those things.

Why not?
I am desperately waiting for your prompt answer so I look forward/am looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Shouldn’t it? It’s possible to conjugate it.
My partner looks/is looking forward to seeing you next Thursday.

I assume that you have introduced this nonsensical phrase to support your argument that the phrase should not be conjugated? Perhaps if you conjugated it correctly?
I had looked forward to hearing from you.
I had been looking forward to hearing from you.

Nothing wrong with that, though the addition of ‘will’ would very rarely, if ever, be necessary in any context that I can think of.

That’s your choice, but others are not wrong when they choose to use something you don’t.

What a strange idea! I like to be courteous to everyone. Are my friends less deserving of my courtesy than anyone else?
I would usually choose a different way of finishing a letter to a friend, but there is nothing wrong with this ending, and I would not avoid using it.
“Have a great holiday and I really look forward to hearing from you when you get back. I want to know all about it!”

Hopefully, I’ve explained why that might be the case.

Instead of saying, ‘For me, this is wrong,’ you might want to try saying, ‘For me, this is my preference,’ and leave out the implication that anything which is not your preference must be incorrect.

Beesnees,

which of the two forms do you use at the end of your letters?

I look forward to hearing from you,

e2e4

P.S. Thanks

I use both. It depends on the purpose of the letter, my mood and probably a number of other things I don’t even think about.

Interesting.

Thanks