I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi, what exactly is the difference between

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.”

and

I look forward to hearing from you.”

Is it a question of formality with the simple present version being more formal than the continuous one?

Thanks in advance,
T[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Business team[YSaerTTEW443543]

That’s the main difference for me, Torsten.

“I’m looking forward to hearing from you.” sounds a little warmer (friendlier).

“I look forward to hearing from you.” sounds a little cooler (more formal).

Amy

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your quick response. It’s interesting to see that in most business letters you probably will find I look forward to hearing from you, mabye that’s because the phrase is regarded as a standard close?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A building site at dawn[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

I think they’d both be considered “standard” and the main difference would be the relationship between the letter-writer and the recipient. It may also depend somewhat on the company culture.

I think you’d tend to see the continuous form more often when the reference is to a future meeting:
I’m looking forward to seeing you.
I’m looking forward to meeting you.

Because there will be future face-to-face contact, it’s a more personal situation and a friendlier tone seems more appropriate to me.

Amy

hi toresten .what the best book of grammer

Respected Sir,

I am happy to receive your reply. Yes really today I have learned this system how to be a good English writer.

Thank, for this kindness.
Nice Rose

Dear friends

I received the email with this ending sentence :

“looking forward to the pleasure of hearing from you I am,”

sender name

How do you think about this one? I mean is it odd or peculiar to write in this form? or if it is grammatically wrong?

daniel

Respected sir,

Theses have grammatically difference like …

I’m looking forward to hearing from you (continue/ direct)

I look forward to hearing from you (present future/ indirect)

Best regards,

Nice Rose

Dear Nice

thanks for your reply,but still I couldn’t get my answer !

“looking forward to the pleasure of hearing from you I am,”

sender

is it correct?

thanks

No. This sentence is not correct.

Hi Trosten
Thanks for your Reply. my updation is going on,Thanks for your co-operation.
Yours
Surendra

If you got that message as a spam it may be incorrect grammer as spammers don’t use correct grammer. Many of them don’t have English as their mother tounge or they just want to make fun of their language too.
/Maria

I can’t spellcheck my messages before sending them just preview them. I am used to spellcheck messages before sending them. English is not the easiest language to spell.
/Maria

Hi Tosrten and authors of messages,

I have read all the messages on this special subject and just got to point of understanding that if someone writes a formal letter should use;

• I look forward to hearing from you.

but if this is not the case and people want to write an informal letter they should use;

• I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Besides, according to my grammar knowledges “look forward to” is a phrase and is used as it is in the first sentence.

Could someone be kind enough to elicit it a bit more please.

Best regards

Hi Torsten
I received Your e-mail and I understand You want to see my face. I´ll do my best to show You my face unfurtunatelly I usually conect the forum from the job and we dont have the necessary components to browse photography´s but I promisse to You I´ll do it as sun as possible in an internet café.
I´d like to thank You for your patient and I agree with You when you say that we are your custumers.Really You treat Us as people who pay a lot of money and most of time where we pay a lot of money We don´t find a good treatment.
Torten I´d like to ask You a favor. I want to be a English translater from Portuguese and I´d like You to send me topics that can help me to have sucssesin this challenge.
Thank You
I´m looking foward to hearing from You.
Julio

i hope short answer< about my photo on internet and all relating around?

I made a few searches on Altavista.
Look forward hearing from you. 37500 matches.

Look forward to hear from you. 232 000 matches.

Looking forward to hearing from you. 2610 000 matches.

Looking forward to hear from you. 464 000 matches.
Maybe this results had changed tomorrow. :slight_smile:
/Maria

“looking forward to the pleasure of hearing from you.”
I am, your obedient servant,
Joe Black.

Nothing wrong with it, as far as I know.

Daniel, this used to be the formal reply used in England for many years, especially in reply to correspondence from the Inland Revenue.Always good for a laugh.

Kitos.

Search Engine is used by people around the world that use internet no matter which country they are from.

Grammatically, LOOK FORWARD TO should be followed with NOUNS or GERUNDS (VERBS+ING). The meaning is WAITING WITH PLEASURE.

So, (in my opinion) conventionally, one should use: … LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU or … LOOK FORWARD TO THE CHANCE OF HEARING FROM YOU etc.

Warm regards,
Cahayatek from Indonesia

As far as I know, both variants " I’m looking forward to hearing from you" and “I look forward to hearing from you” are pretty much the same. As it was mentioned before, “I’m looking forward” is less formal and a bit warmer than “I look forward to”. It is just like " I wonder" and “I’m wondering”. “To look forward to” is to be followed by a gerund or a noun.