If you have a good sentence, please show me.

Dear All.

If you have a well composed sentence, please show me, I want to learn.
No joke. I love reading grammatically good sentences.
Learning never ends.

Thanks.

I like this sentence.

A bird that was long thought to have gone extinct has been rediscovered in Myanmar after a team of scientists used a recording of the species’ distinctive call to track it down.

I should rephrase it here as : a team of scientists who used…
or a team of scientists using

What do you think?

I think ‘gone extinct’ is not good English, but the rest of the sentence does not need rephrasing.

Thank you…Coach. Still I feel something is missing in the phrase of After…Um, dunno really. You are my champion. Rgds.

I think then you would have to make one more (minor) change:

A bird that was long thought to have become extinct has been rediscovered in Myanmar after a team of scientists who used a recording of the species’ distinctive call tracked it down.
A bird that was long thought to have become extinct has been rediscovered in Myanmar after a team of scientists using a recording of the species’ distinctive call tracked it down.

Not entirely sure that’s still all right logically though. Or is it? :smiley:

Having corrected ‘gone’ to 'become, the rest of the original sentence is okay as it stands. There is no need for any other changes, though your suggestions are also possible.

“Throw mama from the train a kiss, a kiss & wave mama from the train a goodbye”

If that’s too easy try this one

Anyone who feels that if so many more students whom we haven’t actually admitted are sitting in on the course than ones we have that the room had to be changed, then probably auditors will have to be excluded, is likely to agree that the curriculum needs revision.

Thank you Coach, ETN best and Mr. IL.

Cristina the best, thanks for correcting Extinct collocation that I can’t remember. ( become extinct/ be extinct ) I know Coach knows it from the start.

Coach the champion, I agree simple sentence is the best sentence.
If I substitute I in the - after a team of scientists used a recording of the species’ distinctive call to track it down.
I’ll get - after I used a recording of the species’ to track it down. OK then?

Mr. Irish the Lurker, thanks for the long sentence , but I need a year to fix it. I’m too lazy .

Oh, you can’t throw you mama from the train but a kiss to your mama from the train? or throw your mama a kiss from the train. Dunno.

Always confusing subject+ 2 objects patterns.

To dear all, my sentence is originally from an actual news report. We make mistakes, that is very natural. We learn more from our own mistakes. No big deal.

Thanks.

Please, show me more beautiful complex sentences when you are free. Love you…

What do you think? logically, more or less confusing?

If I rewrite the line as -

A bird that was long thought to have become extinct has been rediscovered in Myanmar by a team of scientists who had been tracking it down by using a recording of the species’ distinctive call.

Thanks.

I don’t think tracking somebody/something down is a quick job/task. So I prefer a perfect continuous tense here. Dunno.

And the line originally started with a passive voice clause (has been rediscovered ) which needs its own subject, i.e ’ a team of scientists’ ?

Definitely not. That wouldn’t work.

If you want to simplify it:

Scientists using a recording of a bird’s distinctive call have discovered that the species is still living in Myanmar, and is not extinct as they originally thought.

Sorry for my awkward presentation Coach, I mean I first didn’t accept the sentence construction - after a team of scientists used a recording of the species’ distinctive call to track it down - so I substituted I before used to simplify the clause, and I became to understand the construction of the original sentence.

Thank you.

Let me see,
Scientists using a recording of a bird’s distinctive call have discovered
that the species is still living in Myanmar, and is not extinct as they originally thought.

I got it. Cool. Thank you…

Dear Readers,

If you have a good sentence ( which/ that ) you like, show me please. I just want to learn more.

Thanks.

Well actually I have a new Girlfriend for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=VPyo8-Pr55Q

I don’t know if I found the kind of sentence that you expected (to learn from), but I know that I learned something new: it’s called “center embedding”. It may be new only for me. It’s the cause for weird but interesting phrases.

This is the phrase that I’ve just picked up:

"The rat the cat the dog chased killed ate the malt. "

This thread is a very good idea, congratulations Steel&Lace!
:slight_smile:

You made me very sad Mr. IL.
Coz , she’s my most adorable Ex.

Anyway, thank you.

Dear Monicalisa.

"The rat the cat the dog chased killed ate the malt. "
It sounds something like two super - power presidents chasing a super model who conned their Rolls.

I stole the idea from those ninja turtles from Romania.

Thanks.

Aargh, I can’t make heads or tails of that!

There are four nouns and three verbs. There is at least one object, maybe two. Dunno.