Hiring ESL content creators

This post is a work in progress. You can consider it as some kind of draft of an ongoing project. Feel free to comment, ask questions and share. :smiley:

English.best has two major target groups: Learners of English as a Second Language and Content Creators/Language Coaches.

One of my goals for 2020 is to create an environment for content creators that allows you to earn an ever growing income online while making new friends and making the best of your creative potential. By 2025 close to 80% of the world’s population will have access to the internet. This means that within the next 5 years more than 5 billion people potentially are looking for resources and materials to test, practice and improve their English.

As of now, most of the materials offered online are ‘ESL’ (English as a Second Language). ESL materials are usually created by language professionals, linguists, teachers and writers which is perfectly fine. However, new technologies have been emerging at an exponential rate resulting in a gap between materials for learners of English on the one hand and native speakers of English on the other. If you want to keep up with the latest technologies you need to use English.

Trying to learn English with conventional textbooks and resources covering conventential topics is no longer enough. That’s where we as english.best content creators come in. We want to connect the ESL world with the rest of the world. That’s why we are creating materials only covering new technologies, trends, business models and terminology. On english.best we already have more than 23.000 questions dealing with grammar, phrasal verbs, idioms, business vocabulary. Now it’s time to cover those items our users will need within the next few years.

So, if you want to join our team of content creators and language coaches we are more than happy to welcome you. Our approach is to work together and collaborate instead of viewing each other as competitors. Here our goals:

1. Earn an additional income online

As freelancers we sometimes find ourselves struggling to make end meet for various reasons. The digital economy is creating not only winners. Life as a gig worker or digital freelancer can be tough. On Upwork and other sites we usually compete with each other for the best jobs and once we secure a job. Once we secure a job and start working on it we again are worried about finding the next job. Even if you are an excellent content creator, translator, writer, journalist, SEO professional, blogger, social media marketer … you still need to constantly bid for new jobs. Since I’ve been working as a freelancer myself since 2001 I know how tough it can be. I also know that there is a better way thank working as a digital nobody for Clickworker, Appen, Stepes, etc. Let’s go it together.

1. Share our ideas with other team members

Sometimes working entirely on your own for weeks or even months can be tough. We are all social beings and need input from other like-minded professionals. No matter how independent a person you are deep down inside your subconscious mind you want to be part of something bigger than yourself. That’s how we are wired as human beings. Let’s make the world a better place together by sharing our knowledge, ideas, passion and networks with those people for whom English is a second language.

1. Build an online profile

In the digital economy your online reputation is all that matters. That’s why you sign up with all the major platforms and networks build your network. With english.best you will have a variety of options to add great value to your digital profile as a professional. Here are a few of the features and tools I’m planning to roll out within the next few months:

• You will have the option to have your name appear on each piece of material you create. This way, if somebody googles your name the materials you have created will show up telling potential partners or clients that you already have a lot of experience under your belt. Please let me know if you are interested in this.

• If you work with us consistently for a certain period of time you will get access to our CMS so you can add and edit the materials you create yourself. This way you have full control over the entire production cycle and you can get faster.

• At some point you will have the opportunity to earn a share of the revenue generated by the materials you have created. Please contact me for details.

• If you like you can have your own personal page where you advertise your services as a freelancer. For example, you can offer English language tuition using your page to find new students. We will create that page for you.

The following values and principles are absolutely crucial to me:

• Transparency: I don’t want to hide any information related to our projects from you.

• Equality: I don’t to create any artificial hierarchies.

• Collaboration over Competition:
    Yes, there is a certain element of competition within our team similar to the group dynamics within a sports team. However, there is enough room for each of us to grow both intellectually as well as financially. The better we work together as a team the easier it will be for each of us to earn a living online.

• Diversity:
    Each of you is a unique person who has their own story, ideas, situation, character and profile. I want to get to know you closer to find out how exactly I might help you make the best of your potential.

• Open Source Approach:
    Let’s use the same methods of collaboration as software developers in the open source space do.

4 Likes