ETN should have sentence correction tests.

It is good to miss someone, sometimes. Cool.

Time’s up, you are out.

The answer is A B C D E, lol…

Apart from Alan and Bee, only two girls can get it right.

You know who?

Both of them are Agents, of course, working for the well known Intelligence Agencies.

Yah lah, like James in the Bond.

Intriguing enough???

Everyone starts from ABC. Even Bill at the Gate and Stein in the Ein. Huh?

Wot, do Agents have horns on their heads like cows?

Nah lah, they are very normal as you and me. Then only they can get what the need?

Have fun.

I’m way out!

I kept hesitating between D and E. The others are all ambiguous, because it’s not clear what the “they” and “them” refer to. But is E just as ambiguous? I know they do like concise language in this kind of test, so maybe E is the correct answer? Nah, I’m going with D.

Anyway, is this really a LANGUAGE test? How am I supposed to know whether it’s the inertia-gravity waves that the meteorologists disregard or it is the stripy patterns? Doh!

Lemme think… The course I attended ran for 6 months, three hours per lesson, twice a week. You do the math! :slight_smile:

Hmm… another IQ test which I can’t do without a calculator.

25x3x2= 150 hours

That’s why you’re always better than me.

Have fun.

Congratulations.

D is correct.

But millions of my apologies, my new girl friend ran away with the diamond ring which I meant for you. But I could make it up with this lovely pendent. I believe you like it. Cheers!

A. they are disregarded by conventional weather forecasts because they are thought to be too small
B. they are disregarded by conventional weather forecasts because these waves are thought to be too small
C. conventional weather forecasts disregard them because they think they are too small
D. conventional weather forecasts disregard these waves because they are thought to be too small ( A Simple Active Voice with a definite subject which removes ambiguity ??? )
E. conventional weather forecasts think them too small

It is always good to keep things simple and natural. Like - Love is Love. Don’t try to exaggerate it and you’ll go bananas ???

The Pendant goes to Cristina the Best, again. She’s got my Gold Rolex, Diamond Ring and again this Diamond Pendant. Diamonds are forever with her???

Try this mates, mind you as usual 10 seconds.

Early 16th Century moralist philosophers, particularly in France and England, regarded Machiavelli’s The Prince as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants, and not until the 17th Century was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned by philosophers.

A. Early 16th Century moralist philosophers, particularly in France and England, regarded Machiavelli’s The Prince as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants, and not until the 17th Century was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned by philosophers.
B. Machiavelli’s The Prince was regarded as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants by early 16th Century moralist philosophers, particularly in France and England, and not until the 17th Century did philosophers question the view of him as a teacher of evil.
C. Early 16th Century moralist philosophers, in France and England particularly, considered Machiavelli’s The Prince as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants, and not until the 17th Century was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned by philosophers.
D. Early 16th Century moralist philosophers, particularly in France and England, regarded Machiavelli’s The Prince to be a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants, and not until the 17th Century philosophers was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned.
E. Machiavelli’s The Prince was regarded as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants by early 16th Century moralist philosophers, particularly in France and England, and not until the 17th Century was the view of him as a teacher of evil questioned.

Me tried? Yah lah, one of the best Am I, you know me, hi hi hi hi.

It’s simply A fun. Thanks for you comradeship, one out of 7 billions plus. Wunderbar!

Hi Mr K,

Aaaaaaah, that’s another little something to keep an eye out for! Not only do they like concise language in this kind of test, they also tend to prefer the active voice over the passive. Of course, trying to take the easy way out is probably not such a good idea!

Now stop right there: I don’t remember any diamond rings!

The pendant is lovely though, thanks: so simple and pretty – plus it matches my engagement ring perfectly! Too bad I almost never wear any neck jewelry. :slight_smile:

Hope you don’t mind my saying this, but it would be helpful if you highlighted somehow the part of the sentence that needs correcting.

In this case it’s quite obvious that we are supposed to choose a (whole) sentence over the others.

When the right answer doesn’t jump out at me, I start using the process of elimination – especially in tough questions such as the ones you’ve posted in this thread.
So what might be wrong with option C (which is almost exactly identical with A), for example?
And I remembered that according to an explanation given in some test I took at some point, it is incorrect to use “consider” both with “as” and “to be”. I don’t remember what type of test it was, but I’m sure that was what they said. I then checked a couple of dictionaries and found these:

oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c … h/consider
These workers are considered (as) a high-risk group.
The company is being actively considered as a potential partner.
This award is considered (to be) a great honour.

idioms.thefreedictionary.com/consider
I don’t consider you as a possible candidate.
I consider her to be shallow.

Interesting! So why is this usage acceptable for several good dictionaries but not for those examiners? Confusing!

Anyway, I liked the original sentence (which is obviously the same with option A), so I’d stick with that if I really had to make a choice.

Oh, sorry for the whining!

Congratulations, you’re right.

You’ve got to select most appropriate one?

The way I approach between A and C is -

A. Early 16th Century moralist philosophers( , ) particularly in France and England ( , ) regarded Machiavelli’s The Prince as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants ( , ) and not until the 17th Century was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned by philosophers.

C. Early 16th Century moralist philosophers ( , ) in France and England particularly, considered Machiavelli’s The Prince as a collection of cynical precepts for tyrants ( , )and not until the 17th Century was the view of Machiavelli as a teacher of evil questioned by philosophers.

, particularly in France and England, ( the phrase sounds like both in France and England )

, in France and England particularly, ( the phrase sounds like ( only ) England, and I think the position of Particularly here is awkward, I donch know. )

I mean as you know generally we can place an adverb in the first, second or third position. But there are some particular adverbs which we can’t place in the third position?

So as you can see A is originally more simple and beautiful than look alike C.

So I select simple A.

A gift to you all!

The price of leadership continues to rise in higher education, particularly in terms of presidential pay at public universities.

The often strained relationship between science and religion has become particularly combative lately.

Some memories, particularly those evoking fear or pain, are best forgotten.
Now, the ideas are not particularly startling anymore, but they were at the time.

Rose chafers are particularly troublesome in sandy soils.

AS is fine here for me.

Thank you…

Have fun.

( You don’t have to Read a correct sentence two times, like a genuine diamond. )

You must be very forgetful.

You took away all the diamonds I had.

Try this for kids.

Dunbar argues that gossip is important in human societies in the maintenance of social cohesion, just as social grooming does for other primates.

A. gossip is important in human societies in the maintenance of social cohesion, just as social grooming does for other primates
B. gossip is important in the maintenance of social cohesion in human society, just as social grooming does for other primates
C. in human societies gossip is important in social cohesion like social grooming for other primate societies
D. similar to social grooming in primates, human gossip is important in maintaining social cohesion
E. gossip is important in human societies in the maintenance of social cohesion, just as social grooming is in other primate groups

Thanks.

Have fun.

Thank you Mr K,

You may be right about the position of the adverb (at least, the order in option A seems better in this particular sentence) but “particularly” carries the meaning of “especially” in both instances.

I wish! :slight_smile:

Oh, me, me!!! The answer is E!

The last bit needs to echo the first bit.

Finally – an easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy one! Me likes that! :-)))

G r e a t!

I thought you’d be trapped. Hmm…

Clever one.

Have fun.

I still want to say the second one doesn’t sound right?

1. particularly in France and England

2. in France and England particularly

Have fun.

This one is gud.

Records of the first 736 British convicts deported to Australia reveal convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged from highway robbery to forgery.

A. convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged
B. convictions in all cases were crimes against property and ranging
C. the ranging of convictions for crimes against property in all cases
D. that all were convicted of crimes against property ranging
E. that all of them had convictions for crimes that were against property; the range was

Have fun.

It’s better to read a line without a hint, you can be more observant.

Records of the first 736 British convicts ( s/o ) deported to Australia ( Passive participle phrase ) reveal ( v) convictions ( o ) for crimes against property in all cases ( prepositional phrase complement )

and they ( who? and which voice should I follow?) ranged from highway robbery to forgery.

So I found it’s something wrong with the second clause. But I donch know how to fix it. Do you?

Have fun.

All roads lead to English.

Efforts without any good results is as good as Nothing. That’s inertia. F= ma