ETN should have sentence correction tests.

I think Alan was (mainly) referring to this, Mr K:

Brilliant!

Would you rephrase this sentence, Starting like The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests … or howsoever you think you can make it more cute. Thanks.

Unlike traditional bullet-proof vests, which can prevent serious injury, but which cannot prevent the wearer being knocked over by the impact, new vests, designed to make bullets bounce off, are being developed in the United States.

I told you you’re the best.

Have fun.

Hmm, so this is what I’ve come up with:

The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests which will not only prevent serious injury like the traditional (bullet-proof) vests are able to do, but also make bullets bounce off.
Or, maybe:
The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests which will not only prevent serious injury like the traditional (bullet-proof) vests are able to do, but also keep the wearer from being knocked over by the impact.

I don’t know if they’re any good though. Maybe Alan will give us his opinion now.

Thanks a lot Cristina,

It looks slimmer written in active voice, sometimes?

Let me ruin it a bit.

The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests which will not only prevent serious injury like the traditional (bullet-proof) vests are able to do, but also make bullets bounce off.

1. The United States is developing new bullet - proof vests ( designed to make bullets bounce off ) which ( , ) unlike the traditional ones ( , ) can prevent the wearer both from serious injury and ( from ) being knocked over by the impact.

2. The United States is developing new bullet - proof vests which unlike the traditional ones can prevent the wearer both from serious injury and from being knocked over by the impact. ( rephrased to my best )

In this case I consider like 'Food to eat, Water to drink, Cigarette to smoke and Wear bullet-proof vest to bounce of the bullets.

I donch know.

Have fun.

[b]Ref. Oxford Dictionary.

Usage[/b]

When both is used in constructions with and, the structures following ‘both’ and ‘and’ should be symmetrical. Thus, studies of zebra finches, both in the wild and in captivity is better than, for example, studies of zebra finches, both in the wild and captivity . In the second example, the symmetry of ‘in the wild’ and ‘in captivity’ has been lost. Other examples: her article is detrimental both to understanding and to peace (not her article is detrimental to both understanding and to peace ).

Kind regards.

Please enlighten me.

The United States is developing new bullet - proof vests which unlike the traditional ones can prevent the wearer both from serious injury and from being knocked over by the impact.

Kind regards.

Dear Cristina,

In fact I stole your idea of Not only but also pattern.

I hope you don’t mind. You know me?

Coz you’re my hero.

Have fun.

Still I don’t know my sentence is correct or not. I reused Unlike which I believe more compact. Thanks again.

The United States is developing new bullet - proof vests which, unlike the traditional ones, can prevent the wearer both from serious injury and from being knocked over by the impact.

Thank you, Bev.

There you go, Mr K - you clearly did better than me with that one!

I actually meant to use the “both… and” construction too, but then I lost my train of thought in the middle of the thing, and that’s when I must’ve switched from doing the thinking in English to doing the thinking in Romanian - which obviously doesn’t help!

I still would like to know if my version might be used at all. (Oh, that’s another one I don’t fully understand, “at all” – I hope I used it correctly.) Never mind…

Hi Cristina,
I’d probably make the following minor adjustments to your sentences:
The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests, which will not only prevent serious injury in the way that traditional (bullet-proof) vests are able to do, but also make bullets bounce off.
The United States is developing new bullet-proof vests, which will not only prevent serious injury in the way that traditional (bullet-proof) vests are able to do, but also stop the wearer from being knocked over by the impact.

Your use of ‘at all’ is impeccable. :slight_smile:

Yesssss! :-)))

Hi Bev, thank you very very much!

Dear Cristina the best and the best Coach,

It was only a 'The Blind chicken which bumps into the rice pot/ cooker ’ story ( Burmese saying, but my own funny translation as usual ). ( Beginner’s Luck??? )

And my idea came out of your original 'not only but also pattern which amazed me.

Then I tried to modify and modify as you know me. ( But it did take me not less than one hour, Shh. )

Anyway, it is A fun to write with you, a kind lady. ( You always have a beautiful mind, blessed one )

And thanks a lot to the best Coach who’s always got Quality English.

You guys made my day. Thanks a lot in deed.

See you…

It’s wise to waste unused brain cells, sometimes.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. - English version
Even a blind chicken finds a grain of corn every now and then. - Hungarian and German version, apparently
Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while. - Russian version, apparently
Even a blind hen stumbles upon/finds a grain of corn every once in a while. - Romanian version (my own translation)

Possibly all originating from the Latin saying “Even a blind dove sometimes finds a pea.”

:slight_smile:

I’ll have to disagree with you here.

We Are bred before Latin exits. We are endangered Junglies. Speak like ka ku kay kel kaw kan ko klo klan klaung etc etc.

Have fun.

We have a lot in common. Human beings?

Hello Mr K,

I meant the versions in the languages I listed possibly all originated from the Latin saying - I did not include the Burmese one among them.
Even Russian has been somewhat influenced by Latin among other languages, hasn’t it? You were possibly too far away for it to reach you.

атмосфера atmosphere
факт fact
космос cosmos

Can you recognize the Latin letters behind their Cyrillic disguise? :slight_smile:

Ah, that explains it! What does it explain? The reason why I call you Mr K, of course! :-)))))

My point.

Dear Cristina,

You made me dig the root of Banyan tree and I found some lizard eggs. ( Burmese saying,my funny translation ).

Europe exited since 45,000 BC and Greek only began in 1,300 BC. Anything can happen in 45,000-1300 = 43,700 years. I could be a god so many times, creating your kind of Brainwomen and those funny funny languages.

You know we Burmese stole cultures of the others and made them as our own. When tourists come see it , they say we are highly cultured. ha ha ha.

Latin comes from Greek and Greek Can come from Russian, Romanian,Hungarian, Polish.

It is not so wise to assume everything comes from Greek in a round globe.

You put something on the moving round Globe and it can go down anywhere.

Just a Split Type Pate’s thought.

Thanks.

Would you believe it if I say we Junglies emailed Democracy to Greece. You can’t say No?

P.S - This piece goes well with CCR’s Have you ever seen the rain. Sometimes it’s such a beautiful journey back to 70’s.

Try this, mind you, you’ve only got 10 seconds, yes 10 seconds and you’re out. ( Junglish Standard, Ahem! )

1. Inertia-gravity waves cause characteristic stripy patterns in the clouds in the lower atmosphere but they are disregarded by conventional weather forecasts because they are thought to be too small to interact with larger systems such as warm and cold fronts.

A. they are disregarded by conventional weather forecasts because they are thought to be too small
B. they are disregarded by conventional weather forecasts because these waves are thought to be too small
C. conventional weather forecasts disregard them because they think they are too small
D. conventional weather forecasts disregard these waves because they are thought to be too small
E. conventional weather forecasts think them too small

Who learns wins!

Simple English is good English, they say.

Oh, my diamond ring is awaiting you. You know who?

Yeah, as usual.

You know I properly learned English only 108 hours in my life. How about you?

Four years?

This sentence goes well with this song.

“Livin’ La Vida Loca”

She’s into superstitions black cats and voodoo dolls.
I feel a premonition that girl’s gonna make me fall.
She’s into new sensations new kicks in the candle light.
She’s got a new addiction for every day and night.

She’ll make you take your clothes off and go dancing in the rain.
She’ll make you live her crazy life but she’ll take away your pain
like a bullet to your brain. Come On!

[CHORUS:]
Upside, inside out she’s livin la vida loca
She’ll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Her lips are devil red and her skin’s the color mocha
She will wear you out livin la vida loca Come On!
Livin la vida loca, Come on!
She’s livin la vida loca.

Woke up in New York City in a funky cheap hotel
She took my heart and she took my money
she must’ve slipped me a sleeping pill
She never drinks the water and makes you order French Champagne
Once you’ve had a taste of her you’ll never be the same
Yeah, she’ll make you go insane.

[CHORUS]

She’ll make you take your clothes off and go dancing in the rain.
She’ll make you live her crazy life
but she’ll take away your pain like a bullet to your brain. Come On!

[CHORUS]

Yeah, of course one of the hottest songs on earth.

( Oh, i miss my grace a lot )

Yes, I learn English this way. It’s A fun.