Es ruckelt sich zusammen

I’ve just heard an interesting German phrase which seems to be pretty new: “es ruckelt sich zusammen”. Now, try to translate this into English. Good luck ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Customer is inquiring about cleaning services through voice mail message[YSaerTTEW443543]

My guess is “there is a convergence with each other”.

Yes, that’s quite close. How did you find out?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Evening traffic update on local radio station[YSaerTTEW443543]

I have found the web-site where the expression ‘es ruckelt sich zusammen’ was mentioned: m.aerzteblatt.de/news/thema-11632-1-125756.htm
The meaning of the expression was found out from the following context:

• Sind die Vorstellungen da sehr weit auseinander?
  • Hess: Nein, es ruckelt sich zusammen. Wir werden warscheinlich für die hausärzliche Versorgung bereits in der nächsten Sitzung einen weitgehenden Konsens erreichen, was die Planungsebene und die Verhältniszahlen anbelangt. Das läuft in eine gute Richtung.

The interviewer asked if the concepts were far from each other (disconnected). Dr. Hess answered that they were approaching each other, using the impersonal sentence. In order to be close to the text I decided to translate it in the following way: “there is a convergence with each other”.

Wow, I’m very impressed. Does this mean you also understand and speak German?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Employee is summarizing results of brand recognition study[YSaerTTEW443543]

My reading skills are okay (sometimes I look up in the dictionary), but I’m bad at writing and speaking.

Where did you learn it – at school?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Update on current marketing/advertising campaign of sports equipment company[YSaerTTEW443543]

I learned it at Goethe-Institut for two years.

Very interesting. In what country?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Advertiser is promoting hair repair product urging customers to get a discount by mentioning his name to company[YSaerTTEW443543]

In Russia.

So, you are Russian?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Supermarket employee is informing customers on the latest food specials[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes, I am.

Ну тогда, значит добро пожаловать в наш форум :-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: TV weather report and forecast in early fall[YSaerTTEW443543]

Ну тогда, значит добро пожаловать на наш форум :-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Restaurant employee is promoting dinner specials[YSaerTTEW443543]

Спасибо, Торстен :slight_smile: Я вообще-то на форуме давно - без малого 7 лет, но в дискуссии о немецко-английском переводе участвую впервые.

Я знаю, скоро у нас будет новый форум в котором будем обсуждать попросы и темы и на русском языке. Надеюсь, вы будете активно участвовать :-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: New accountant is introducing himself to his co-workers and supervisors[YSaerTTEW443543]

Буду ждать с нетерпением :slight_smile:

Это приятно слышать. Если хотите, мы можем уже сейчас обменяться идеями для новых дискуссий.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Car dealer is promoting used cars through a radio commercial[YSaerTTEW443543]

Меня больше всего интересует контекстный перевод, т.е. не перевод отдельного слова, а в конкретном предложении. Потому, что значение слова/выражения может меняться в зависимости от стиля, тематики и т.д. Подчас этого значения нет в Мультитране.
Также меня интересует разница между англоязычными синонимами и их переводом на русский. Например, долженствование в английском выражается несколькими способами. Should – должен, а точнее следует (в советах), have to (должен потому, что приходится по не зависящим от говорящего обстоятельствам) и must (запрещение, например, ты не должен). Но есть много других слов и выражений, которые похожи по смыслу, но есть некоторые нюансы их употребления.
Наконец, мне интересно узнавать перевод английских фразовых глаголов на русский. Например, основное значение start off – это «приступать», но есть еще другое значение. He started off at me again simply because I had forgotten to lock the back door after I came home. И тут возникает вопрос: как точнее перевести “ругать” или “упрекать”? А может и так и так?

This is exactly what we are planning on implementing on the new site. There will be additional information on a every single test item. For example, if the item is “”, we will add tags/descriptions such as “collocation” and part of the idiom “to act as a red rag to a bull”, equivalent in Russian: красная тряпка, plus additonal information on the collocation is used in Russian and by whom. As for how to translate forms of долженствование into Russian and how to use them, we will have more examples showing the different approaches too as well as the use of phrasal verbs and other constructions that don’t exist in Russian and are translated using other concepts.

So, you are using Multitran? We are going to start a similar project to Google Translate community using elements of AI and human input.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A commercial for a vitamin supplement product[YSaerTTEW443543]