Does using TOEFL speaking and writing templates( like those on Notefull & Magoosh) lower our score?

Does using TOEFL templates in speaking and writing parts lower our scores?
Also there are some questionable templates,for example in Q4 in the speaking part, the question asks about the lecture but the template suggests us to talk about the reading part too!
What’s your idea?

3 Likes

Hi Sudi, welcome to our forum and thanks for your question. Based on my experience it’s best if you use English as a means to achieve your goals rather than trying to prepare for an exam. So, the real question here is what exactly are your goals? What are you passionate and excited about? I doubt it’s the TOEFL test.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, thanks.
Actually, I love to learn English and speak too.Although my major was not related to English, I am teaching English now. I just want to apply to universities in other countries than my own country (Iran), then I need a good TOEFL score. That’s why I am trying to practice in a best way to achieve a high score to be able to apply to good universities.

3 Likes

So, what is your major? The more information you give me about your interests the better I will be able to assist you in achieving your goals. As for your question, I don’t think that using any templates itself will lower your chances of scoring high marks on the TOEFL test.

2 Likes

I have MS.C degree in chemical engineering.See there was a post on the internet that it said that it is not good to follow a template bcz it is machinery!
And what about question 4?

3 Likes

So, have been active in international communities for chemical engineers? For example, what forums do you take part in and what podcasts to you listen to? If you connect with other professionals from around the world using English you will have no problem passing the TOEFL.

2 Likes

How exactly?
TOEFL doesn’t ask about my major!

3 Likes

The TOEFL measures your ability to use English in an academic context so you need to connect with other professionals from around the world to discuss all kinds of topics in English.

2 Likes

Thanks but I don’t think having a discussion with professionals around the world would help me to be successful in TOEFL test! It’s a complete test about everything! For example favorite pet! is no ant academic subject!

2 Likes

Speaking of pets this question has just popped up ;-).

2 Likes

I suggest a slight change -

To practice (practise) in the best way possible.

3 Likes

thanks. would you please help me here Please help me with my writing

2 Likes

thank you. Could you please score my writing?Please help me with my writing

2 Likes