Do you have jokes/riddles to share?

Hello forumers,

I watch a lot of American TV shows and movies and sometimes I didn’t get the part I was suppose to laugh.

So I verily hope to hear some (jokes or riddles) from the forumers and see whether I can challenge myself to tell a joke from my background in English (and see whether English-spoken people get them or not).

Any takers?

Nina

An ancient joke from the early 20th century or before. I used to make my linguistics students diagram the two possible structures that cause the misunderstanding.

HOTEL GUEST: Call me a taxi!
PORTER: Okay. You’re a taxi!

Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite jokes are unfit for this forum, but I’ll try to think of some more.

How about this funny headline:

Super Caley go Ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy walks into his psychiatrist’s office wearing nothing but Saran-Wrap underwear.

The doctor walks in and says, “I can clearly see you’re nuts.”

(say it to yourself and you’ll get the double-meaning. In typing it, I had to make a choice.)

If you speak my name, I cease to exist.

What am I?

Hi,

Fleeble is bigger than the universe.
Some rich people want to have fleeble.
Poor people have fleeble.
If we eat fleeble, we will die.
What is Fleeble? :lol:

Thanks guys.

I really don’t know the answers for the riddles, but if other forumers have the answers, let’s share them ok.

Anyway, let me try.

Tom’s :

You are a coward?or somebody with funny name?

Give me some hints, please

Rosalisa’s:

Rock?

I know, I’m lame.

Here’s my poor attempt:

gas?

It can’t be ‘Di’ (as in ‘Diana’), can it (the question would then have to read 'who am I?')?

Sorry, Amy, but I don’t see anything the least bit funny about it.

What am I missing? :? :frowning:

Hi Conchita,

Please have another try. I have a clue for you. It’s all about quantity. :smiley:

Hi Nina (Your name is like one of my friends’ names. :smiley: )

So, Nina, please think about the clue. :smiley:

Could it be ‘power’?

To appreciate the humor, you need to find a connection between Mary Poppins and football (soccer) in the UK. 8)

NinaZara, here’s one I saw on TV:

BUCK: Is it true your sister is marrying and X-ray doctor?
ROY: Yeah! He’s the only one who can see anything in her!

I love jokes from old Borsht Belt comedians. When I was a kid I thought they were stupid, but now I think they’re funny.

Here are some one-liners from a now-deceased Borsht Belt comedian named Henny Youngman:

The doctor says to the patient, “Take your clothes off and stick your tongue out the window”. “What will that do?” asks the patient. The doctor says “I’m mad at my neighbor!”

A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says “You’ve been brought here for drinking.” The drunk says “Okay, let’s get started.”

A bum came up to me saying “I haven’t eaten in two days!” I said, “You should force yourself!”

[i]You have a nice personality, but not for a human being.

The more I think of you, the less I think of you.

A woman was taking a shower. There is a knock on the door. “Who is it?” “Blind man!” The woman opens the door. “Where do you want these blinds, lady?”

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.[/i]

I got it now! :slight_smile: Really good play on words – I’m glad I asked!

Hi Conchita…

It’s…please have another try…it’s exactly bigger than the universe… :smiley:

:smiley:
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … 875957.stm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercalif … alidocious

That headline had me in tears. :lol:

Nothing is bigger than the universe.
Some rich people want to have nothing.
Poor people have nothing.
If we eat nothing, we will die.

Hi,Rosa
Freedom?
Love?
Time?

Wow Jamie, you’re a genius. I think you’ve got Rosalisa’s riddle correct. And thanks for the jokes/one-liners. I’m still trying to understand some. Good practice for me.Thanks!

Amy I still don’t get it but give me some more time. I’ve been trying to find what’s funny with Mary Poppin the whole day. Now that you’ve mentioned UK soccer I’d have to read some on that before I completely understand it. Thanks anyway!

Rosa, (can I call you this?)

Nina is a very common name. I even have a friend with the same name. I would like to try harder but I think Jamie has got the correct answer.Hehe.

p/s: By the way my sister’s name is also Lisa from ‘Nuraishah Nurhalisa’. She’s pregnant now and due this coming April, I was about to have the baby named after me but it’s a boy(the first boy in the family).Next time maybe.

Nina

Amy I just opened the link you gave, but I don’t think it’s funny but I think it’s clever (because it rhymes with Mary Poppin’s thingy)

I guess different background made us receive things differently (ー_-#)