Difficult pairs: credible vs. credulous

For all of you who tend to muddle up the adjectives credible and credulous, you might want to read credible or credulous? by Alan Townend.

It’s an incredible story, isn’t it? Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Clarifying information on an invoice[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

I couldn’t help but notice that “incredible” was mentioned, but not “incredulous”.

Now, “incredulous” is an adjective that can be used to mean “unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true”. For example, if I told you that “You will have to tell me the truth” was grammatically incorrect, you’d probably find it incredible that an experienced ESL teacher would tell you such nonsense, and you’d have every right to be incredulous. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Amy,

Thanks a lot for your interesting comments – I always appreciate productive input from experienced ESL teachers. By the way, if you google “credible vs. credulous” this thread comes up on top so I’m sure many people from around the world are going to benefit from Alan’s essay as well as your balanced and useful remarks.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Preparing for a test[YSaerTTEW443543]

You’re welcome, Torsten.

1 Like

Hello Alan,

I have just read the story “incredible vs credulous”,and I found your explanation very easy to understand.

Thanks

Maddy

I’m a credulous man. What you told is credible. hhaha. Thanks a lot.

Hi

Dear Me Alan

Thank you very much for this essay, I have a question but not related to this essay.

Sir why sometimes they use should instead of (If)in contract, for instance,

Thank you,

Alaa

Thank you so much . This Topic good actitle I like it so much . now I think my idea may be improve .

I liked that story. Thanks! Easy to read and easy to understand the difference :)))

Dear Mr Alan Townend,
Good explanation. All who read it would easily understand the difference between ‘credible’, ‘incredible’, and ‘credulous’. How you make it so simple for the learners!
Regards
Aneeqa

Discreet vs. discrete.

discreet - careful and circumspect, unobtrusive.
You can tell her anything without worrying if she will share your secrets. She is very discreet.

discrete - individual - separate and distinct from anything else.
There are three discrete divisions that combine to make up that company.

I memorized discrete is related to ‘separated’ by its spelling that double E’s are ‘separated’ by letter T.

Nice one, FC!

Dear Sir.

According to your lecture about “credible and credulous” I have my own point about the lecture. And I am wondering that it is suitable if I understand your lecture follow my way. So this is my point.

At the first paragraph you said that the car in the story hit another car in the back. But in the second paragraph this car hit the car in front of it. So I can conclude that your story is not credible. And if I believe your story I will be a credulous men.

If i make any mistake for understand your story in my way, please tell me and show me how to understand your story in the best way.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Your sincerely.

Hi I never heard this word befor thank you

hello,i am prasanna from Nepal.i am improving english by reading your mail. sorry for not replying your answer.because i am working in remote place where the enter net facility is not available.thanks

The effort is really nice.keep on going. It was really thought learning words through some story…

Credibility is a result of the relationship between source and audience, creating the perception of the transmitter to the receiver. Credibility is “attitude at a time, a receiver from a communication source”. Credibility stems from individual capacity, engaged In a process of communication with others, to convince him that his message is worthy of attention.
Thanks a lot
Anmih