Difficult pairs: credible vs. credulous

Dear Alan

It´s incredible!!! I found the whole story credible because I´m awfully credulous.
Don´t you belive me?

Thanks for the story!!!

Keep in touch

Virginia

Virginia

I am translating the couse outline from Chinese into English. Please give me some feedback.

“During the teaching process, the course will thoroughly focus on enhancing students to master essential theories, essential knowledge and basic dissecting skills, emphasize combining anatomy and clinical practice, and require students to accurately apply anatomic terminologies and to build up proper English anatomic vocabularies to read foreign medical publications. In order to avoid overload for students and to enhance self-learning, all contents of the course will be assorted into 3 categories in term of the course requirement: master, familiar, and comprehensive.”

Dear Mr Alan
You told a story to introduce a confusing pair of vocabulary items.I wonder how it was related to teaching grammar, as the subject is teaching grammar through story telling.
thank you

Thank you for your useful educational materials.

The old house. The house is old. what is difference between these sentence?
The house is old. is it nominal sentence?
The old house. which sentence it is?

It is interesting to learn new words and their meanings. Thanks.

hi Dear Alan
very nice combination, i liked it and was very understandable

Hi Alan Sir,

Thank you for your Essay "Credible vs credulous.

Alan Sir your Essays are Credible to us, but we are not Credulous.

Your story about this Essay was good.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Dear Alan,

I will have one question, but fortunately not related to credulous and credible.
I was once told by my English lecturer that if we are using ‘not only’ it should be followed with ‘but also’. I read one part of your essay that I have just read.
I will be very grateful if you also may correct this sentence relating to the above issue. Is this correct? ‘I do not only learn lot by my self, but also do practice with many native speakers’

Thanks Alan for your nice essays.

Cheers,
Fernando Sihotang

Hi, It should write like this, I think.

I am not only learning it myself but also practicing with many native speakers.

Alan Sir, if there is any mistake in my writing please correct it.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Not only do I learn a lot by myself, but I also practise with other native speakers.

Thanks for this clarification of the words credible and credulous. What I have learnt now that these words are differ in meaning, however, I do agree that the word ‘incredible’ tends to mean ‘amazing’ as well. Is there any harm when I mean the word ‘incredible’ instead in this sentence? " The story of Noah and the Ark in the Bible is amazing" Thanks in advance for your kind attention

Babetara

Hello Babetara,

You can use either ‘incredible’ or ‘amazing’ in that sentence.

Thanks a lot. I can practice the use of such words from now on. However does the word ‘credulous’ applicable to that sentence “e.g The story of Noah … is credulous.” Thanks

You could say something like:
“Only a credulous person would take the story of Noah literally.”
but you couldn’t say the story is credulous. It means having or showing too great a readiness to believe things - which doesn’t work with inanimate things. I suspect you are thinking of the word ‘credible’ which means capable of being believed.

Hi

Credulous- Disposed to believe too readily
or showing lack of judgement or experience
so credulous he believes everything what he reads

Creditable means which can be believed.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hello Mr Alan,

Could you please help me to learn English Literature, mainly poetry?

Thannk

Shasheela

Hi Shaseela,

You keep reading Sir "Alan 's Essays, you will feel like you are doing
English Litrerature in our English - Test - Net. After that you won’t feel like
going to college, but you feel like to be here by reading Essays, writing feed back
to the Forum, and attending all the exercises in English-Test-Net.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hi, I must confess am learning a lot from you. Initially I was grammatically incorrect and orally poor but it seems I am responding slowly to treatment with your abridged tools for teaching. Thanks a lot.

what are the differences between LOSS,LOST,LOSE and LOOSE? What is the difference in their pronunciations?