Content plan January -- April 2023

Hello Andrea, your latest two tests are online here:

What kind of materials would you like to create next? Are you happy with writing error sentences tests or do you want to try something else?

Many thanks for all your support and motivation. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name’s Marina. I’m very happy to be here - I love the way you guys collaborate! @Torsten Thanks for having me on board. I will come up with a list for the first few topics shortly.

2 Likes

Hello Marina, welcome to our forum, I’m glad you have found your way here and I look forward to seeing the list of topics I want to cover. You can always ask us any question :wink:

1 Like

Hello @Mnicol!
Welcome to the english.best team :grin:

2 Likes

Hello @Tamar!
Welcome to our forum and to the english.best team :grinning:

2 Likes

@Torsten, I enjoy doing error correction. Maybe I need some ideas for other topics. I’m also keen to try something else. :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you, Natalia! It’s a pleasure to meet you all!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Tamar and @Mnicol. It’s great to have you here :wink: Take care, Andrea

1 Like

So, these are the first topics I came up with. I’d love to hear your feedback, as I’m still trying to figure things out. Any suggestions are welcome!

The death of online privacy
bbc. com/news/technology-41483723

Internet Shutdowns as a means of controlling crowds
cnet .com/features/inside-the-dystopian-nightmare-of-an-internet-shutdown/

Smart TVs spying on their owners
techtimes .com/articles/246366/20191204/smart-tv-spying-heres-what-stop.htm

Neurolinguistic Programming (what it is, where it’s used, etc)
independent. co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/messing-with-your-head-does-the-man-behind-neuro-linguistic-programming-want-to-change-your-life-1774383.html

Foldable phones are popular again!
bbc com/news/technology-50891446

2 Likes

Hi Marina, these topics look fine to me so please do go ahead and cover them in your first batch of exercises. :+1:

1 Like

Morning everyone! Thank you @Torsten for inviting me in. I’m Sean and I’m from Ireland, though currently in South Africa.

Loved reading the thread above – it’s clear that there’s great communication between the team. I’m excited to get started!

I’m bringing another project to a close over the coming days so I’m going to be very preoccupied with that, but I’ll pop back in early next week with a list of suggested topics & articles to see what you guys think.

Happy Friday!

3 Likes

Welcome @Sean-C to the forum. Great to have you here. I’m in South Africa too. :blush: Have a great day! Andrea

2 Likes

Hello everyone.
Nice to meet all of you. I am also in South Africa. I’m looking forward to working with all of you.

Leonika

3 Likes

Hello Leonika, welcome aboard, it’s great to have another forum member and content creator from South Africa. Maybe you, @Sean-C and @Andrea can meet up in person sometime :-)? Please do let us know if you have any questions regarding the reading comprehension exercises. Have you decided on the topics you want to cover yet?

2 Likes

Hello @Sean-C!
Hello @Leonika!

Welcome to the forum and to the english.best team :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :blush:

@Torsten, Here are some of the topics I was thinking about:

1. How close are we to uploading our minds?
  2. How does laser eye surgery work?
  3. The power of the placebo effect
  4. How can sound hack your memory as you sleep?
  5. Your body vs. implants
  6. Are computers learning to read our minds? Mind-reading tech is here!
  7. Could human civilization be spread across the entire galaxy?
  8. How does binary code work?
  9. What is a smart phone made out of and how is it affecting the world?
  10. Are we running out of clean water?

I do have links to these topics, but when I originally tried to reply with the topics and their associated links, a message popped up saying new users can’t upload more than two links at a time… No worries. If you want the links to these topics, let me know and I’ll post them.

Also, I did have more topics on my list, but I didn’t want to overwhelm you. I can save those ideas for the next batch of topics. :slight_smile: I am open to feedback from anyone. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi again Tamar, the topics you are planning to write about are very interesting and I am looking forward to reading your articles and answering your comprehension questions :+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you! And just to clarify the length of each article: each one should be about 150-250 words, right?

1 Like

Yes, that’s our current format but you can test longer texts as well. Just give us some feedback on what kind of texts you feel most comfortable with.

1 Like

Hi @Tamar, I too look forward to seeing the topics you are planning to cover, especially the one about smartphones because African countries have now started developing and producing their own devices which is a very positive development.

1 Like