Content plan January -- April 2023

@Torsten, I sent you my new texts and followed your suggestions on the robot teachers, technology and reaction to them. Please give me feedback when you can. FYI, I will be unavailable from 22 to 25 February.
Looking forward to any feedback.
Have a great weekend

2 Likes

Hey Guys ā€“ 10 new topics:

• Facial Recognition Technology: Where Will It Lead Us?

• The Tech Entrepreneur Who Thinks He Can Reverse Climate Change With Nuclear Energy

• Letā€™s Talk About Salt - Is It Really That Bad For Us?

• What Exercise Can (and Canā€™t do) For Our Mental Health.

• The Key To Good Negotioating

• The Science of Sleep

• Will Teleportation Ever Be Possible?

• The Crisis of Antibiotic Resistance

• The Future of Drone Delivery

• The CBD craze: whatā€™s it all about?

Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Sean, I like all of the 10 topics you are proposing here, especially this one because overall wellbeing is becoming more and more important:

I also think there is a connection between these two topics:

Also, I particularly look forward to this one:

So, thank you very much for your great work, I canā€™t wait to see your next batch of exercises :+1: :smiley:

2 Likes

@Leonika, your three new tests are online and Iā€™ve really enjoyed reading them. For example, I didnā€™t know about about Little Sophia by Hanson Robotics and her role in modern school education. Have you had the chance to see Little Sophia in action yet? Also, while I did know that Sophia had been granted Saudi Arabian citizenship and didnā€™t know about iTutorGroup so thank you very much for sharing this information with me and our users!

Finally, I learned about Softbankā€™s humanoid robot NAO thanks you to. I wish you a great a weekend and look forward to working with again next week!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

My name is Kelly. I am a freelance writer and a CELTA qualified ESL teacher.

Looking forward to working with you all!

:wave:

2 Likes

Hello @KellyW!
Welcome to the english.best team :grin:

1 Like

Thank you @Natalia_Polteva!

1 Like

Hi @Torsten!

Here are some ideas for future pieces:

Social media

• The pros and cons
  • Use as a language learning tool
  • The continuing problem of online bullying

Climate change

• Examples of wild weather/extreme storm activity across the globe thought to be because of global warming (could focus a number of pieces on different locations) - Places which will be most severely impacted by rising water levels like the AOSIS nations

AI

• the devices we use in our homes
  • Will AI ever replace the need to learn a language (no, obviously!)

Let me know what you think? Thank you!

Kelly

2 Likes

Hi Kelly, I like all your proposal so you can use these topics to create your next exercises. If you need some more inspiration I can share some ideas too. For example, I find it fascinating that Sweden will soon abandon cash while Germany is going to hold on to cash forever.

Sweden is now testing its digital version of cash, the e-krona | MIT Technology Review

Just let me know if you want me to give you more ideasā€¦

2 Likes

Hi @Torsten!

Actually yes Iā€™ll do the Swedish digital cash one next because that interests me too; I was actually reading an article this morning about something similar here! And new ideas are always welcome!

Thank you,

Kelly

2 Likes

Hi Kelly, itā€™s great to hear you too are excited by the fact that blockchain based cryptocurrencies are the future :wink:

As for more ideas, one proposal is the FT article Iā€™ve shared with you via Google Drive titled ā€˜Will more bicycles really help green growth?ā€™ by Kuper Simon and another one is this:

I especially the following part in which he explains the concept of the flywheel effect in business:

My colleague Aswath Damodaran says Amazon isnā€™t an ecommerce company or a cloud company, but a disruption platform that through great execution and unparallelled access to cheap capital, uses the flywheel effect to spin into completely different industries.

The sheer volume of people on Amazon (82% of households in the US) makes the platform more appealing to advertisers. Amazon Media Group is now a $15 billion business, the third-largest advertiser in the world behind Facebook and Google. More advertising results in more products, which leads to more purchases, which leads to greater investment in Amazon Prime Video to continue to increase the stickiness ā€¦ and the wheel flies.

This flywheel is now the mother of all chainsaws wielded by a bald 56-year-old in a hockey mask.

2 Likes

@Torsten I am sold on the second one purely by the hockey mask thingā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what that says about me!

The bike one is done, I just want to give it a proofread before I send it to you :relaxed: youā€™ll have it by the end of the day!

Thank you, Kelly

2 Likes

I might mean that subconsciously you want to help trigger a thought process in our readers that eventually leads to a new value system since our current economic system is obviously broken.

If this is the case it would be great if you could create a unit based on this short documentary by Deutsch Welle:

2 Likes

You are absolutely right @Torsten, it does mean that! adds to list

1 Like

Hello @KellyW!
Your new test is online:

Thank you very much for creating it! :grin::+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Natalia_Polteva!

2 Likes

Good morning Kelly, here is another great article you might want to use for your next unit.

2 Likes

Good Morning @Torsten! Yes this is a great one, thank you! Iā€™ll have another one (the cryptocurrency one) tomorrow afternoon.)

Thank you!

Kelly

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great to hear, Kelly. At the risk of throwing too many ideas at you, here is just another documentary that in my opinion makes for a great article since it covers a variety of aspects of modern society such as rising real estate costs which result in rising labor costs which in turn result in rising consumer prices on fast food. This development has lead to the rise of AI driven robotics startups that partially replace human labor in the fast food industry with technology. On the whole this shift creates far more advantages than possible disadvantages although the vast majority of all people have a tendency to focus on the possible loss of jobs exclusively. Our mission is to raise awareness of the advantages AI and robotics have:

1 Like

Like Bitcoin, this currency will become illegal (sooner or later), because this is not - tangible, and almost impossible to control in a single approach. It was also told that ā€œBitcoin would be the futureā€, but now became illegal (in most of the countries).
I am 100 % sure, any type of crypto currency or digital currency will have the same fate!