Comparing English with other Languages?

Ha,ha,ha

Alice, don’t you like this? I think this is the best:

so, I wonder how could someone else comprendre :slight_smile:

But how about this one:

it’s like saying:
“Important is to remember what you want to forget” or
"What’s the antonym of the word “synonym”? or
“I understood at what age I was three years old” (it’s from Cleopatra’s song - a girl from Moldavia)

It’s funny - playing with words is fun, no matter the language.

Hello!

My dear Moni.

The most probable probability is, that he has no idea what he is writing about.:((

Alice the root of the problem is probably problematic of the probable cause.
In all probability that is.

One thing I remember Mr Thomas and others recommending in “Listening” is Interviews because they are the real spoken language unlike a lot of "contrived stuff.

So listening to Audrey hepburn would certainly fall into that category - same applies to French(as in any language I suppose).

Interviews are 100% real - just as this best man speaking at a wedding is real… you can hear his “Southern” English(Could be London)accent

youtube.com/watch?v=6c1VKR9rEwA Approx 20 million speak similar to this. You can feel the tension, nervousness of the room… which somehow makes it easier, more interesting. :slight_smile:

And isn’t it strange how simply changing 3 words around can make such a contrast.

To be either
Handsome from afar
or
Far from handsome

There is not the CONTRAST.

In the both cases it means that somebody isn’t very handsome.

We in Poland would say : “ujdzie w tłoku”.

It means that somebody looks not bad in the crowd.

:slight_smile:

Good bye Mons

Thats quite uncanny Mons.

I was exactly the same age when I was that age too.

But i’m a bit sad you never told me about this French series based upon both you and Alice living just off the Champs-Élysées :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=nV6SDDlc60g

Hi I.L.

You probably didn’t predict how right were you , writing this sentence.

In this picture is an evidence of it.

It is me sitting near of the Champs-Élysées,

waiting for Moni who went to do purchasing.

:))

Adieu, Jamie

You said that I said it, but you said it, and you didn’t say it, because you wrote it:

Well, don’t be sad, that was our secret, you know girls have their secrets like “Oh, la, la, les americaines!” … so, you just watch and learn :slight_smile:

And be quiet, it’s early in the night yet, so please don’t disturb the noise of the silence, just listen to it and count the sheep which are not here because the wolf ate them all :slight_smile:

Anyway, Good morning!

Bye, again, Jamie

Now that you know, we decided to show you the photos.

Yes, Alice was waiting for me to return from my shopping session; I had wasted too much time when choosing the best champagne and, when I saw her, I took a photo, in return for her patience.

Oh, Champs-Elisees …

Hi!

I already knew Mons :slight_smile:

I can’t tell you how I knew or I would have to kill you

But all joke on the side its actually a very good series corny and stupid as hell everything is too obvious but this is very good for anyone learning French. :slight_smile:

PS “I can’t tell you how or I would have to kill you” is an expression to make one think the information is very important, its also a cover for when someone is talking crap. :slight_smile:

So don’t be sending anyone round to my house just yet.

But also my thoughts on Paris would be that the Eiffel Tower is probably the most dissapointing tourist attraction to see (probably second only to Colditz) I remember coming round the corner and seeing it and thinking? Is that it? :frowning: Arch de Triomphe is much better and a lot bigger than the Brandenburg Gate which I hadn’t realized.
I was stranded there once during strikes about 15 years ago. Crikey the French are the world Champions at striking. :slight_smile: Britain used to be the same but they brought Margeret Thatcher who used the media and the intelligence services to destroy the Unions. I admire the French for their protesting.

Bon Jour

Bonne journee!

When I go to Paris, I will tell you my impressions. I can’t say anything about it yet.
But it’s on my list.
This year I visited Prague for the first time, and Belgrade and Budapest for the second time. In fact, this year I went to Budapest just to watch the concert of Andre Rieu with his orchestra -Strauss Orchestra. Do you like his concerts?

Oh, Monica, what a fantastic experience. I could do without the sugary charm and the focus on the pretty young ladies to the exclusion of any other type of female orchestra member, but I would forgive that because his orchestra always plays with such joie de vivre and precision.

If someone says someone is “Handsome from afar” it means exactly that and without any context it is a positive statement and doesn’t imply a negative.

Someone can appear handsome up close and from afar

Like wise Someone can appear ugly from afar but attractive up close. (and also the other way round)

But specifically

Handsome from afar - The word afar here means the person is being seen from a distance meaning a “long distance between the people” but that he is perceived as handsome.
or
Far from handsome - In this case afar means the person is “long distance from being handsome” implying that he is ugly.

Also

“I admired him/her from afar” before we were introduced is a common phrase for newly weds etc.

But of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating and clearly if there wasn’t a contrast between the two statements then this room full of people wouldn’t laugh.

youtu.be/6c1VKR9rEwA?t=4m4s

Guten Tag

Oh, in my opinion it means that only from faraway someone looks handsome, but if you

see him close ,(in the reality), unfortunately he isn’t handsome. I see the mockery in this

phrase.

The other way people say about not handsome person that: "he is handsome

otherwise."

So as not to be too much impolite.

:))

Vielen Danke

You’re right, and the best part is that they transmit this joie de vivre to the entire audience. I felt the life can be beautiful, and for two hours I forgot all my problems and I wanted that the concert never end.

Dear Beeesneees, I hope that you feel much better now, and I wish you enjoy the Christmas time, together with all the people you love.

Best regards,
Monica

Thank you for your kind wishes, Monica.
My battle with the sciatica continues (16 weeksd and counting), the physio is helping, thank goodness, and at last I’m beginning to feel I can walk for more than 3 minutes without having to seek out a seat!

I hope you have a restful and peaceful Christmas with those dear to you.

Thank you!

:slight_smile:

Monica

Irish Lurker (AKA Whatever comes to mind :-))

Beeesneees

Bees those stats are really quite astonishing?
I think if I had done any where near as much as you i don’t think I would be able to walk at all full stop period… :slight_smile:

LOL
It’s not being able to walk that’s pushed them up a little over the past few months!

Just another logical fallacy of mine then Bees…

But it must be a good sign when you can see a positive from not being able to walk. :slight_smile: