Comparing English with other Languages?

It’s nice to give presents, especially for Christmas!
Your relatives&someones will be very grateful and very busy for a while! :slight_smile:
Oh, if I didn’t know Audrey, I would say that she was French!
I’ll see about Jodie later and I’ll tell you whose French is better.
See you later, then.

youtube.com/watch?v=J5rffh2 … 6C&index=2

??? :slight_smile:

Ok, I watched both interviews.

Audrey speaks a very good French, as I said in the morning.

But now, that I heard Jodie, I can say that Jodie sounds more French! because elle parle tres vite, comme les Francais - she talks fast, she doesn’t stop to recall the words before using them. She’s more fluent, meaning that she’s in better control of the language.

Both of them have an equally good pronunciation, a very good one.

I’m glad that you found and shared them. It’s good practice for listening and understanding French as a foreign language.
You may watch them too :slight_smile:
Very funny, ha,ha.

Here’s the answer to your complicated, elaborated question:

It seems like Michel’s method is really effective.

I’ve been listening up to lesson 5-6.
In the beginning, I had the feeling that someone threw me in the water and I will drawn, as I can’t swim (just say so, because I can).
I have no idea about Polish language, except for some words (not only a few, but many, I’d say), that Alicja and I discovered during our evening chatting.
I don’t remember them, because I didn’t think to store them. We just have fun when discovering.

By Michael’s method, it doesn’t look so difficult to learn basic Polish: one simple word, another one, combine them, another word, make the sentence more complicated, come back to the easy words, repeat, new word again, combine again, as we would build a wall brick by brick if I can say so (similar with step by step).

I even found some words which of course I don’t know how to spell, but which are very much alike in my language. I will write them in a way as to show the similarity in pronunciation:

Polish ______________ Romanian

pashport ___________ pashaport (meaning passeport)

cetam (“I read”) ____ citim (here I put the form “we read” as it’s the closest)

dla cego? _________ de ce? (meaning “why”)

gotove ___________ gata (meaning “ready”)

What do you say? could you learn Polish by Michael’s method?

Thanks.

Mons thats probably because you watched the film “Titanic” oh yeah an btw she was ok when she left here :slight_smile:

I actually see similarities between German and Polish “on the page” not as much as say Dutch but they’re only next door but unlike the Dutch they have massive expanses (influences) on their other borders.

Mamy sporo polskich tutaj
więc może spróbuję

Wow!
You know that too!

Alicja, Help! What did he say?

My dear friends.
I am pleasantly surprised that you are considering a possibility learning Polish language. Monika even begun already this learning.
Certainly I would not dissuade you from that, and willingly serve to help.
But I warn you that the speech in my language is very difficult.
Knowing well the literary Polish language, I’m often scared when I listen to my fellow countrymen from the “high society”. Journalists and politicians, people from who we can require the proper use of the Polish language.
Whatever I think about the proposed method of science - it is good to learn basic phrases in any language.

I’m myself using the video supplied to us by IL, (thank you Jimmy) to recollect the French language -at least a little. And I am enchanted by the method of learning used in this video.

Good luck!

Alicja:)

Ok, Jamie

I guess I could renounce to my drawn this time, although your drown is too tough - you saw what happened to her, and she was so glorious when she left home; and all of them were so happy, and Leonardo so much in love!

Excuse me, but I have a word with Alice now.

Alice,

What did he say?

“We have here many polish people, so maybe I will try.”

It is what Jamie( not Jimmy) wanted to say.

In fact he said:

We have here many polish, so maybe I will try.

Alicja:))

Good!

Thank you, dear Alice!
In fact, how could we compare, if we don’t know anything about other languages?

By the way, do you remember words that we discovered to be similar in both our languages? I don’t. (zacuska/zacusca, maybe?)

:slight_smile:

See you!

Sorry. I don’t remember. It was many similar words. Isn’t it? But we can produce the next similar words.

What do you think Moni?

See you:)

Yes Alice

I think the name of that particular set is “French Revision” (Advanced) Which basically summarizes the main 10 CD course into a few short lessons.

c’est très bon que vous été enchanté

In my School days I remember being taught Irish by a teacher who didn’t allow English to be spoken in his class.

This was probably the main reason I hated this class.

Saying phrases in both languages is much more effective and keeps everyone one the same page as one another.

How would you say this… ?
How would you say that?

When you’re in a foreign country you can “prioritize” what you learn first…
Perhaps phrases connected to your job…
Or you’re hungry and you want to go in the shop and buy a Pizza?
I think I can identify with this method because this is how I learnt German in Germany.

Then - when you have learnt how to buy a Pizza - you don’t forget it. :slight_smile:

People seem to go on about this method and say how great it is?

To me it is merely logical. I think what I’m trying to say is that it is
“real language learning” and not the artificial monotonous learning of the class room.

I think Michel Thomas is merely replicating what happens to people in real life situations in a foreign country but in a more organised format,
Getting to know the auxilary verbs “Have” “Go” “Be” etc and the verbs that are important to you and their tenses by repeating everyday phrases in both languages…

Simple… “Ish” :slight_smile:

And Mon’ser you better stop asking people to call people name’s they don’t like or you will get detention. :slight_smile:

Hope this makes some sense. (I might edit it later). :-).

Detention?!!!

Alicja my friend, be careful!

Do not worry my dear.

His hands do not reach so far.

:))

Alice I logged into your phone an have your exact co-ordinates so I

can send an inter continental ballistic missile armed with a Nuclear War Head over to

your house anytime I want…

Actually come to think of it you are extremely lucky that Nuclear Weapons don’t

really exist so I suppose I will let you off this time. :slight_smile:

Monser hows about comparing Romanian to English? And does Romanian have much

in common with German? For some reason I am guessing it does??

And oh yeah Mons can you please try not to flirt too much with Santa this Christmas

as it kind of lowers the tone IYDMMSS :slight_smile:

Hi I.L.

Please, don’t make me nervous, because I’m

busy by cleaning the windows.

This threaten me of falling from a window.

The nuclear missiles are more likely to came

from the East than came from the West.

Since the rouble falls in price, and someone

from the other side may not withstand the

tension.

:((

Before and now.

Alice
It doesn’t matter if they come from East or the West?

because Hiroshima and Nagasaki were firebombed

so relax they will probably be just like Christmas fireworks :slight_smile:

Hi J…(sorry i don’t know what name do you like to be called by).

What means the question tag that you has applied?..
Oh, I know. Our wonderful and only accessible for us (so far) world, is now a global village.

Because we have no influence on the situation which is existing, we must just live of our everyday life. (triviality)

:slight_smile:

Peut-être que vous ne comprenez pas ce que je voulais dire
Mais - d’une manière ou d’une autre - Je ne comprends pas ce que vous voulais dire
Peut-être que je ne comprends pas ce que je voulais dire
What I meant was it is probably meaning less if you know what I mean? :slight_smile: