Big head

Jess:What does your sister look like ,Mike?
Mike:well , she is tall and pretty
Jess:Is she like you ?
Mike:I suposse so , we are both friendly and easy-going
Jess:Is she as clever as you ?
Mike:No ,she is not as clever as me.
Jess:Big head

The meaning of “big head” means being arrogant.

Regards,

Ozzy

Dear Ozzy,

Thank you very much for your reply .What’s the weather like in Mexico?

In Shenzhen ,China.In summer is really hot and in winter is really cold ,but today is a rainy day.

Regards,

Jess

You are welcome Jess,

In Mexico the weather has been bad over the past two weeks; rain, wind; cloudy and cold – about 18 degrees Celcius and even lower.

In the summer it rains in Mexico-City, because of the raining-season and temperatures are lower than in winter during the day.

In winter the night temperature might drop up to freezing-levels, during the day it is around 22 degrees Celcius on average and very sunny : - )

In Mexico City we have about 22 million inhabitants, this makes traffic a nightmare and, if the streets were somewhat safer, walking / cycling would be a good alternative.

Food is delicious here and I’m getting more and more used to eating spicy.

Regards from a semi-cloudy Mexico City,

Ozzy

Good morning ,Ozzy !Nice to hear from you . it’s 6 PM in Shenzhen now and i think in Mexico is about 4 AM .I’m sorry i didn’t reply you earlier .

Did the wheather in Mexico break ? Please be careful not to take cold. In Shenzhen , today is a sunny and muggy day ,temperatures up to 38 degrees Celsius.

May i know more about you , your family and you hometown.

BR,
Jess

Many people may walk in and out of your life ,but only really friends will leave footprints in your heart . A friend in need ,is a friend indeed.

Thank you for your reply, Jess.

There’s a minor error in your slogan:

“Many people may walk in and out of your life ,but only really friends will leave footprints in your heart . A friend in need ,is a friend indeed.”

I listened to your voice message once more and noticed some points of improvement regarding pronunciation.

To speak well, it is advised to speak slowly. This allows you to think well on how to pronounce the words and what intonation is needed. You should not speak too slowly of course.

You can do a listening exercise of this page and listen to the spoken text three times. Then, you click on “show text” and read the text aloud yourself. You should record yourself and compare your reading with the spoken text provided of that specific exercise.

I did catch a cold; we had a semi-outdoors meeting when it was windy, raining and about 16 degrees Celcius. It is terrible for me as I need to be heard clearly for my job as a teacher.

My hometown is in the south of Holland, Eindhoven, a beautiful town I could say. There are still several small shops where you can buy cheese and snacks, bakeries, butchers and so on. Many people go there who enjoy more personal contact with the sales person, contrary to supermarket chains.

You can check the town on Google, with images.

Regards,

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy,
It’s very kind of you , Ozzy. Thank you for your attention, I have revised my slogan.
And thank you for your advice , it’s the excited advice I have got ,I’m quite in agreement with what you said . I will take your advice and try to follow it in my learning。Spoken English is a big headache for me. In the past time, I always click on “show text” first , read the text and then listen to the spoken text ,but as your advice I should exchange my steps, I think this is why my spoken English is poor.
I’m sorry to hear that you had caught a cold, hope you are fine now. How are you feeling today? Hope fever, chills ,sore throat ,cough are away from you . Teacher is a respected job, we always connect straightness , kindness , patience with them ,I think you are all of this . Are you an English teacher?
Does the famous Eindhoven university of technology located at your hometown?
My hometown is Yibin in southwest of China , it ‘a called “the Capital of Liquor”, known as Rongzhou in ancient times , it’s also called the first city on the famous Changjiang River . it’s a beautiful city with beautiful mountains ,limpid water ,long history , excellent position ,rich cultures ,all through the ages , it’s a place attracting many nationalities to inhabit ,and has always enjoyed a good reputation of “Half of South-west China”.
I have learned English for many years at school ,but after graduated from university , my job have nothing with English , so I haven’t use English as long as 6 years , but now I have changed my job and working in a famous IT company , I have to use English everyday , I deeply find iam weak in spoken English , so I try my hard to learn English when I finish my work at any free time

Thanks,
Jess

Many people may walk in and out of your life ,but only real friends will leave footprints in your heart .A friend in need ,is a friend indeed.

Hello Jess and Ozzy!

I liked very much the interactions you had by this time in this topic page. I hope you wouldn’t mind that I join in your endeavors of learning English language skills. The aggressive attempt of Jess is of much encouragement for many of the learners in this forum! And the coaching attempts of the teacher, Ozzy are of much help no doubt!

Wish you to continue mutual sharing for a long time!

Best regards,

Mujibur

Hello Mujibur,

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Regards,

Ozzy

Hello Ozzy,

I like the phrase very much, “A simle a day keeps the doctor away!” Smiling always is very helpful for learning English language too! :slight_smile:

By the way, I like your consistent participation in this forum. You’ve posted 2.37 number of posts per day after joining in this forum in May 10, 2011. Have you really thought off elaborately what benefits are you looking for out of your English learning endeavors? I’d say elaboration of your thoughts on this point would give you the basic motivations to pursue the language intensively.

Dear Ozzy, are you not recording your posts now and then?

Bye for now!

Mujibur

Hello Jess,

Thank you very much for your compliments.

It is encouraging for me to hear that you took up my advice and am eager to know how that helps you in the short- and middle term.

I believe that people are able to learn through self-study, with guidance of some coaches.

I notice that you do take your time to read, that said, you don’t just reel off and have a monotone speech. On the contrary, you make use of intonation with which you stress out the most important information.

This is of much help during conference calls, presentations, and so on.

Being dedicated to learn is the key to success.

Am I an English teacher? Yes, I teach English, mostly Business English, BEC preparation and I also train teachers of English to sit Cambridge exams, such as PET, FCE and CAE.

I studied the ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language), a Diploma in teaching ESP with the British Council and the University of South Hampton, online and I have the CAE.

Currently I am studying to sit the proficiency exam in December.

In my free time I enjoy working on solar-energy projects, as you can read in this link:
english-test.net/forum/ftopic76094.html

Regards from Mexico and keep up the good work : - )

Hello Mujibur,

Yes I have a goal with studying English; sitting the CPE in December or March.

I need it for my job ; - ), I was shocked to learn that I sat the CAE in 2004…

I currently do not record my messages, I will think about it.

I see that you have played a pretty active role over the past year, it is welcome to have several active members on the forum who take up other members’ queries and create a friendly learning environment.

An environment in which the affective filter is low (Stephen Krashen), is ideal for students to aquire knowledge without feeling too much pressure.

Regards,

Ozzy

Dear Mujibur ,
Thank you for your encouragement. welcome to join us . As you say , Ozzy do me a big favor ,i will do anyting that i can to learn English well , i won’t let Ozzy down .

BR,
Jess

Dear Jess,

Hope you’re fine and doing well! Your friendly gestures to all the friends here are really to be lauded!

We’re here to support each other in learning English language skills as fast possible. I’m sure every one has their own plans and definite commitments for learning this important language. I believe in “Knowledge is power!” and English would help me to gain lot of powers to lead a successful life.

Your assurance of learning English with all out efforts is very very important, no doubt! Hope you’d exert your efforts on daily basis to fulfill your definite goals!

With warm regards,

Mujibur

Hello Ozzy ,

I’m quite in agreement with what you said “people are able to learn through self-study with guaidance of some coaches”&“being dedicated to learn is the key to success”.
I think I’m at the honeymoon stage of learning English , I find everything is new and exciting , just as I find a new lover , I’m a happly English leaner .
English is a key skill to my work . To be honest , to improve living conditions and increase salaries is my original drive , but now I think it’s not important to me, i love english at heart. I spend at least one hour to learn English every single day.
My short-term goal is pass the TOEIC oral test and can communicate with customers freely in English this year . I think it will be an ordeal to me ,but i will try my best to achieve my goal .Now i’m doing positive things to chane for better …

BR,
Jess

Kind acts reap happy smiles

Hello Ozzy ,

I’m quite in agreement with what you said “people are able to learn through self-study with guaidance of some coaches”&“being dedicated to learn is the key to success”.
I think I’m at the honeymoon stage of learning English , I find everything is new and exciting , just as I find a new lover , I’m a happly English leaner .
English is a key skill to my work . To be honest , to improve living conditions and increase salaries is my original drive , but now I think it’s not important to me, i love english at heart. I spend at least one hour to learn English every single day.
My short-term goal is pass the TOEIC oral test and can communicate with customers freely in English this year . I think it will be an ordeal to me ,but i will try my best to achieve my goal .Now i’m doing positive things to chane for better …

BR,
Jess

Hello Jess,

I saw that you have been doing many listening- and some grammar exercises too.

Although it says elementary-grammar, some topics are quite challenging at first; repeat them several times, take notes of doubts and rephrase the sentences found in the exercises.

Re-writing those sentences, so that they are related to your work-environment, you will understand and remember them better as they make more sense to you.

In that way you can create standard phrases applicable to every day emails, sometimes you just adjust those phrases a little for specific clients.

Keep your positivism ; - )

Regards,

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy ,

Got it . I will do as your guidance .

Thank you very much indeed.

BR
Jess

Treat others as you hope they will treat you

Hello Ozzy,

You must have a definite purpose for not recording your messages currently. It’s alright, as you know it better.

It’s good to see that you have specific immediate goals of learning English and you’re putting on lots of efforts to achieve those goals. I wish your success in the proficiency test you’re planning to sit in December or March next.

Your comment on “playing a pretty active role over the past year” is very encouraging to me. If you join us in the topic pages, “Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?” or “Don’t be shy!” would be of much complementary for each other. Please try to consider this proposal of mine.

With warm regards,

Mujibur