Associations with 'Ukraine'

Hello Mr. Victor: I’m from Portugal, which I think You don’t even know where it is. I’m almost like that in what Ukraine is concerned. I’ve only been, a long time ago, to the Soviet Union (Leningrad and Moscow), and at the time Ukraine was one of the sovietic republics. I’m not going to talk about Chernobyl, which even now make us shudder. What now is in almost all the media is the “gas war” between Russia and Ukraine, which if persisting, would be a great problem to many European countries. Let’s hope that now an agreement has been reached. Could you tell me something about all this.
Regards
Maria

Dear Victor :slight_smile:

I live in Poland and I am Polish, so we’re neighbours :slight_smile: I’ve been learning Russian since I was twelve, that’s why I know something about former Soviet Republics. I’ve never interested in politics, so I know just a little about e.g. comunism, gas war etc. I know, that Ukraine is now an independent country - perhaps since 1989/1990. It is beautiful country, and has extremely good plough, black soil. The best one in the whole Europe. I know that Ukraine has its own language, which is very similar to Russian, however - although I can read Russian - I cannot read Ukrainian. As far as I know, Ukraine is much bigger than Poland. Looking historically and geographically, Ukrainian and Polish people are close friends, like brothers. Ukraine’s charm and beauty is known from “With Fire and Sword” of Henryk Sienkiewicz, a famous polish writer, a noblist. Generally I like reading books, but this novel was an obligatory reading when I was a teen. :slight_smile:
What do I remember more about Ukraine? When I was pregnant with my first baby, the great explotion in Chernobyl took place. I remember that the whole mid-eastern Europe was in fear. People were scared about theirselves, and their babies. I was also frightened about my baby. Fortunately, over twenty years after, she grew as beautiful and in good shape, young girl. Thanks God. :slight_smile:
Frankly saying I don’t know any person, who had any health problems connected with Chernobyl. Fortunately.

Best wishes :slight_smile:

Dear Victor,
The first think that where is Ukrain . I hear this name before when I was young it about a politic or something trouble in Ukain. It’s too long I can’t remember all . And it’s too long I didn’t hear something like that again . I think Ukrian will be better. By the way , I saw some France movie and I hear this name again.Unfortunate, it’s France movie that is tell all good thing in France , but I knew from movie that Ukrain is full of culture and beatiful country. Ukrain is still original way of life, simply and sincere. This way is hard to come back .

Kookka

I know the famous football player Andri Shevchenko who is very cool, I like him.

Hello Victor,
Ukraine reminds me recent oil and gas problem, I think Ukraine needs other president who can lead and use great potential of country to make it more flourishing, confused actions of leaders and support of West could not guarantee succesfull development.

Sholpan from Kazakhstan

hello Vector,
I am munim from Libya and so glad to hear from you. I am looking forwad to hearing from youASAP>

MANY THANKS

[color=red]Hey to everyone who has left a piece of information about the country I’m living in. I was really touched after reading all the posts here. As for my location - I live in Lviv which considers to be one of the most beautiful and unforgettable cities of Ukraine. Anyone who was born in Lviv, used to live there or ever visited Lviv, dreams to come back there again. Tourists leaving Lviv take with them unforgettable memories, taste of good coffee and best Ukrainian beer…Foreigners call city of Lviv small Paris. And I’m really honoured to be a part of a that place.
As to the Ukraine as a whole - we speak both Russian and Ukrainian languages here, though Russian is not welcomed in the west of the country (especially in Lviv district). We insist upon speaking our own language, but there are many imigrats from Russia, Israel, Moldova who used to speak Russian and didn’t want to learn Ukrainian, especially during the Soviet time when it wasn’t demanded. Ukrainian nation is very hospitable and festive. Our girls are really very beautiful and often compared to the guelder rose. The example of a women’s beauty were “dark eyes and dark brows”, they should have been very impressive.
What concerns to the politics situation in Ukraine - it’s really awful, Ukrainian goverment cannot supply all of its inhabitants with the worthy up-to-date life. That’s why our people started traveling all over the world in serch of a better earnings, leaving their families. Ukraine is not the only one coutry appeared in such a situation, is it?
Of course, we’ve got a lot of famous people like our singer Ruslana from Lviv - the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2004 (here is the link to the live video of her performance youtube.com/watch?v=TXgaOTOCSuU). I can make a great list but I think it’s useless. Each country have something to be proud of and ashamed of.

I’d like us to be friendly doesn’t matter what coutry we live in and what religion confess!

[color=green]Sorry if I seem to be too annoying, but here is another video worth watching, where you can see several shots of the Lviv streets and extracts of the orange revolution in Ukraine.
youtube.com/watch?v=C93I4FvP … re=related

[color=green]Thanks,

Maryann

Ukraine, huh? It should be a very beautiful country in my imagination. There even be a province where a lot of Vietnamese people are living together and creating a Vietnam community in Ukraine - Khalov or somewhat like that (sorry I can’t remember the province’s name exactly). I hope to have chance to go to your country one day.
My first thought when I hear “Ukraine” is that this country is having its difficult time. The society seems to be somehow unstable. Some negative terrorism…

<MAN! What AM I BABBLING "BOUT?!><!

Ucraine
well though I don’t have a clear idea about the country as it is now, I learnt some things about its history. I also studied some documents of the nazi occupation and of the Protector of the Reich for Ucraine Erich Koch, who put forward a very inhuman policy. Well, anyway, I met some Ucrainians in my town. There are many people here (Neaples, Italy) coming from Russia, Ucraine, Georgia, Moldavia. It would be really interesting for me to know many of them. Unfortunately many foreigners live quite separated from the rest of the society in our country. There are many prejudices against strangers here and this doesn’t really help the integration. On sunday many people from East European country (I don’t like to call them this way, as if they would be a unique people, but they actually meet all togheter) meet in a square near the station. It’s really amazing to see them all togheter, such a huge number of people. It makes you suddenly realize how many people come from that countries to western Europe. A very nice feeling, actually. Wow, I’m digressing to much from the starting point, from Ucraine! Anyway Ucraine must be a nice country, I always hear good things about it.
bye

Hello Victor,
I’m sorry to tell you that every thing I know about your country is its name, but now I have some information about it through the members’ messages. I understood that your country has faced some struggles in the past, and finally it was liberated. It’s good to read about the progress it achieved during the past years in all fields. I hope that your country will keep on moving toward the best, also my hopes include my beloved country which suffers from occupation and massacres.

Best Regards,
Manal

Hi, Victor,

sincerely, I don’t know much about Ukraine, but I know that I’d like to go there sometime in the future. My associations with this Eastern country is first and foremost a Slav(on)ic language pertaining to the eastern group, interesting people, Tschernobyl, Kiev as its capital,the Dnieper River, beautiful women, corruption and by the way, Victor Yushchenko, your namesake. I indeed miss a beautiful Ukrainian girl I met here in Germany more than 12 years ago who would have almost broken my heart. It is a pity that you don’t get enough information about how people live in a lot countries of the world, I mean, e.g., I’m quite sure that there are only few people who know that Hryvnja (UAH) is the Ukrainian currency or that Mr. Rinat Akhmetov may be the richest man in Europe, who even surpasses IKEA’s founder, Ingvar Kamprad from Sweden. I sometimes ask people about these facts too and most of them don’t have any idea. What a pity!
The word oblast is also familiar to me, not only in connection with your country, but also with others such as Bulgaria etc…
Anyway, I hope to learn more about your country and the world. In my opinion, this is a fantastic forum to exchange ideas.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Maryann!

I’m Russian and I live near Moscow. One day I’d realy like to visit your country. But I know that people in Ukrain especially in the west part (lviv) do not like russian people. In my opinion they wouldn’t talk to me even if they know russian. Polititions from Ukrain blame Russia on enerything and native people think that we’re bad guys. And this is a very sad situation.

With best wishes,
Andrey.

Hi Victor,

My Name is Anil I am from India. I regreat to say that I have also not much information about your country.But dont mind it does"nt matter.you can share us about your country"s Culture,& such big things & we will soon know more about your contry.

Keep in touch.

Thanks & Regards

Anil

Dear Anilbhai :slight_smile:

I think that Manal’s right. We live here in one of its kind community and we can share one another with our own experience about many life aspects and areas.
This way we’re connecting pleasure and usefulness. And it is developing as a result. :slight_smile:

Best wishes :slight_smile:

[color=green]Hi, Andrew! Thanx for your reply :slight_smile: Well, maybe you are right to some extant that eastern Ukrainians don’t like Russians. But nowadays their attidude towards people from Russia had changed. It’s neaither Russians nor Ukrainians fault that their State Power monitors cannot come to the compromise in their debates.

If you come to Lviv, for example, and talk to people Russian, they might answer to you in Ukrainian language (according to the principle that in Russia we can’t speak Ukrainian) and I doubt their ignoring you. Besides our languages are very alike, so I think you would understand from the context what they wanted to say :slight_smile:

Good-luck!

Maryann

[color=blue]P.S. By the way, nice avatar of Cheburashka :stuck_out_tongue:

[color=violet]Dear members! Please, leave your audio recordings on this forum! Feel free to show us that you sound really great!!! :smiley:

Maryann

Hi victor,
I read your message in the forum. Torsten has introduced you in my lesson. I’m Shafqat Khan from Pakistan. I’m working in cellular industries. My country is beautiful like your country. I think you know very well about my country. My country has a same grandfather and grand mother culture like your country. We have the same values and believe in welfare humanity. There is little bit difference in our culture. However we cannot say it is western culture. It is mix culture western and eastern.
Although I could not visit your country that is the reason I do not know as much information about your country. But I’m collecting the information about your country from my cousin. My cousin has visited many times in Ukrainian. He is doing business and well settled in your country.
Your country is situated in the southern Asian part of central Europe. We can say you have also Asian touch it borders on Russia, Byelorussia, Moldova, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary and Poland on land and Russia, Georgia, Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey on sea. It is really beautiful country especially in sports. Drieper is it the name of the river or something else). It is one of the longest European rivers. The weather of the country is moderate. Winter is rather mild, with no severe frosts but with regular snowfalls everywhere except the south. The rivers and lakes freeze in winter. Due to favorable climatic conditions, Ukraine is traditionally an agricultural area. It grows wheat, maize, buckwheat and other corn, red and green vegetables, all kinds of fruit.

It is one of the world’s main centers of sugar production. It produces sugar for its own needs and for export too. Your country is also rich in natural resources, such as iron, color metal, oil, gas, mineral salts, and water power. It has developed a varied industry, concentrated mostly in and around big cities, such as Kiev and others. Ukrainian customs are heavily influenced by Asian & Europe culture.
Grandfathers & grandmother play a big role in raising children. The culture of Ukraine has been also influenced by its eastern and
Western neighbors, which is reflected in its music and art.

Victor, I ‘m really impress by your culture it is really great.
Regards
Khan

Hi Maryann…

While you insist the audio messages, why do you diffuse your posts by coloring the fonts with some very light colors…? It is annoying to read it…

Pls think of people with visual difficulties…

[color=olive]Hi, Sahid. You seem to be very caring for those of visual difficulties (by the way what do you mean under such visual difficulties). Or maybe you are one of those with such promlems? If so, I’m really sorry for irritating you with my light pink coloured post (I hope you didn’t suffer much during reading it). I may sound sarcasting, but I think it’s up to everyone what font color to chose for his/her posts. To my mind it looks more pleasant while reading them in color. Besides, if such function has been applied here, why not use it?

Maryann