An additional letter of application

just as for eplanation:
There is a company here in Germany who offers a temporary job in the USA. I wrote a letter of application in german and as for a proof of my english skills I´d like to add a second letter in order to give the employer an idea about my english skills. the text as follows:

Dear Mrs. …,

since the above mentioned job holds true for a job in the USA and a good command of the english language is needed I´d like to give you a proof of my skills in addition to my application in German. On my last job as project-manager I quite often had to use my english skills in negotiations with and explanations to customers and subcontractors on different levels. For sure I might lack some expert terms needed on the specific job, though I think my basics are suitable and easily improvable for a successfull doing the job.

Additionally to my profesional use of the english I also practise the language on two different teaching sites as are: https://forum.english.best/c/english-as-a-second-language/what-do-you-want-to-talk-about ( my nickname is miot) and https://www.myenglishclub.com/chat (nickname zivi). The first one provides members with a higher level of the language and the second one requests intercultural skills and tolerance.

Now, you might wonder why I apply on this job offered in particular. There are different reasons.: Atfirst, , as I mentioned in my german letter of application, that position attracts me and I feel well armed (ready) to take the professional challenge you offer and describe. Secondly, your offer provides me with the chance to work abroad and practise my intercultural skills. And last but not least, since the time span is limited to 5 years I could retire after fulfilling this time span. My last reason might appear a bit selfish, but you yourself mentioned during our call on the phone this option.

I hope i am able to convince you of my english skills with this part of my application and give you another reason for a personal interview.

I look forward to reading from you.

Best regards

I´d be glad to know your opinion about it and also receive corrections, where required.
Thank you in advance
Michael

2 Likes

Hi Michael, it’s great that you are making the effort of writing to your potential employer in English and I’m sure they will appreciate it. Your English is more than just ‘functional’ so you will do an excellent job. As a matter of fact, it’s quite likely that many of the existing employees there speak English as a second language. As for your letter, it’s always best to use short, clear sentences rather than long and complicated ones. How about you try to shorten this one of yours:

Regards,
Torsten

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, thanks for reading my pamphlet :rofl: and making remarks. And also thanks for the flowers regarding the evaluation of my skills. I also owe you, your site and adminstrators here a huge thank for my success with the english.
Yes and you are right, I tend a bit to creating long babblish sentences. Regarding your suggestion, how about this?:

• …since the offered job in the USA needs a good command of the english I´d like to prove my skills with this letter …*.
2 Likes

This is what I have to say:

Your shortened version, in response to Torsten’s suggestion, is really good but please use the capital for English always. Then, say either English or the English language. Also, as you are applying for the job, jobs offered in the USA (demand a good command of English) is more logical than the offered job in the USA. Again, avoid cliches like ‘last but not least’ and providing the links where you practise using the language.

Best wishes, Michael.

3 Likes

Thanks, Anglophile for your good and helpful advice, I will change it in my letter.
A yep, the job offered in the USA reads good. lol mine reads more what it is: Germlish. But it is never too late for improvement.
And thanks for the best wishes. we will see what will happen

3 Likes

Hi again Anglophile, I really appriciate and respect your worthwhile advice. But there is one point I got in trouble with. The point is: "…avoid providing the links where you practise English!.."

Vividly spoken: I undress myself by naming all companies I worked for, listing all experience and certificates, giving information about achievements and misachievements and so on…This all is information requested by potential employers and we uncover in CV´s. So why not letting employers see one´s achievement regarding language skills? I mean I did not refer to any Facebook, Instagram or Twitter acoount, where ambiguous information can be provided? Btw, I am no member of such social media sites.

And somehow, applying for a job is business. I offer my work power and companies might take it. Every well organised web-site of companies provide their potential customers and interested people with projects they successfully performed in a reference list. I thought, as the 2 sites I link to are serious sites. Can you please shed some light why I shouldn´t refer there?
Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

My advice to avoid it was due to my fear of your prospective employer making a psychological analysis and assessment of the conversation you may have been engaged in while discussing the various aspects of language and grammar on the forums. You may have posted a very simple, common question the discussion about which may not put you in good stead. (It is not a paper you have published and uploaded). Just to say that you are an active online member of higher level language learning forums sounds adequate to me. However, as you say, if such information is requested/expected by potential employers, you can, and you should include it.

Best of luck, Michael!

3 Likes

Well you made an intersting point here. And yes, for sure you are right metioning the danger of being psychological analyzed. Giving such information is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it might lead to a rejection but on the other hand I might offer them a chance to know more about my skills.
How about offering them to name these sites in an interview if requested? I could have caught two flies in just one trap. My fortune were that I offer them the opportunity to check my reliability if wanted and on the other hand I can keep inner settings secret and justify the option to show up after a first personal contact.
Thank you for reminding me of the dangers an imediate naming could include.

as I received several good advice I will rewrite the letter again and post again. Would be glad to read several opinions. Lol I am a bad patient. :rofl:
Burt thanks all in advance.

3 Likes

Here is what I rewrote with the help of 3 consultants:

Dear Mrs. Lorenz,

since the job in the USA offered by you demands a good command of the English language I´d like to prove my skills, additionally to my application in German. On my last job as project-manager I quite often had to use my English skills in negotiations, as well as explanations to customers and subcontractors on different levels. I might lack some expert terms needed on the specific job. However, I think my basics are suitable and easily improved upon in regards to doing the job.

Furthermore, besides professionally using English, I also practice on two different teaching sites. The first one provides members with a higher level of learning and the second one requests intercultural skills and tolerance. I may name those two on your request in an interview.

In case you are wondering why I applied for this particular job. There are several different reasons.:

At first, as I mentioned in my initial letter of application, that position attracts me and I feel well armed (ready) to take the professional challenge you offered and described.

Secondly, your offer provides me with the chance to work abroad and further my intercultural skills.

Thirdly, since the time span is limited to 5 years I could retire after fulfilling this time span. My last reason might appear a bit selfish, but you yourself mentioned this option during our call on the phone on 5/28/2019.

I hope I am successful in convincing you of my English skills with this part of my application and that it will give you another reason to opt for a personal interview.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

3 Likes

I still find this sentence too long and complicated given the fact that you want attract Mrs Lorenz’ attention and get her to read your entire letter. How about something along the lines of:

*'Dear Mrs Lorenz, *

communication is key in business. And since I’m applying for a job in the US I’d like to ensure you that my English is more than just functional.

Just a thought…

2 Likes

Torsten, definitely, a very professional and attractive phrasing. I will take it into consideration. But what about the rest of my pamphlet then. Do you think there are some more phrases that should be shortened?
Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Michael, I would keep the rest of the letter as is because what really counts is the fact that you have been making the effort to actually thinking about such aspects as language skills and intercultural questions.

2 Likes

lol Torsten, every little plumber nowadays requests that, apparently. The problem is how to prove that. and the company I apply at is an international concern.
But as for introduction your suggestion is perfect. Exactly what consultants recommend. Great thought of you.
Oh and by the way, seeing my difficulties with vocabulary and prepositons I never came across the idea that my English could be more than just functional. since I am learning English, and you know it are some 13 years now, I found out that languages have unlimited lots of aspects.

2 Likes

What you can do is take this test and tell me your result. Based on that I can tell you what your level is both on the European Language Framework system which is now the standard worldwide as well as on the TOEIC system. This way you will make it easier for your potential employer to gauge your level.

2 Likes

"How about offering them to name these sites in an interview if requested? I could have caught two flies in just one trap." Oh, that’s a good clever idea!

3 Likes

Let me start with what Torsten has suggested, and modify your application from my viewpoint.

Dear Mrs. Lorenz

Communication is key to business. And since I am applying for a job in the US, I would like to assure you that my English is more than just functional.

On my last job as project manager I often had to use English in guiding my customers and subcontractors at different levels. As I keep participating in discussions about various nuances of English grammar and usage on two online forums, I hope to attain a still better command of the language.

As regards my interest in this particular job I may say that the position is not only attractive but replete with professional challenges as well. It can also open up avenues for me to work abroad and further my intercultural relations. Finally, as you have mentioned, the job offers me the freedom to discontinue my service after a spell of five years.

I hope I will merit an opportunity for a personal interview with you, in which case I am sure I can convince you more of my fitness for the job.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Michael

(Please do not take my liberty amiss. I just thought of sharing the little that I think I may know with a person who evinces enormous interest in the English language for personal improvement)

3 Likes

@Anglophile thumbs up, Lawrence. Now Michael letter reads very smoothly as it is well-worded and informative at the same time. Great job!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Torsten. I hope Michael will find it better too.

2 Likes

Dear Lawrence -hope I am allowed to address you by your civil name- , Dear Torsten, and also Dear Paula in absence here,

please accept my apology for the late reply. I had to think this discussion through.

I can not clearly enough express my appreciation for your most worthwhile support und patience. lol In business life you´d probably send me a bill and in case you didn´t overdo it I´d be glad to even it. Otherwise I had to stress my negotiation skills as well as again your patience. :grin:

In fact, Lawrence´s solution teamed up with Torsten´s intro is perfect. I will go for it. Another thanks goes to Paula, an administrator on the second site I mentioned above. She also added some good ideas.

A bit a shame is, that I can not immediately link to this particular discussion. As this discussions also proved my managing skills. :grin: The job of desire is a project-manager-job.

Since managing a project means detect an issue, start a solution, find experts for support, raise their attention and finally opt for the best solution. And the way you teamed up and supported me with best ideas and solution appears professional. As Torsten wrote: great job. By all of you.

Another plus for me in an analyses probably were the proof of my ability for team work. It needs some readiness to accept solutions by team members and opt for them. As a project manager the task is not necessarily to find the best sulution yourself. But recognize chances and possibilities given and find and execute the most satisfying result.

I am not going to praise myself to the skies. It is just what came to mind thinking this dicussions through.
lol A bit I feel like “the valiant little tailor” who killed seven flies with just one sting with his needle.

Thanks again for your support. Would be a joy to team up with you more often.

best regards
Michael

3 Likes

I am allowed to address you by your civil name
Why not, Michael? Please do address me by name.
I’m glad that you are not dissatisfied with the modified version of your letter.
Keep being on the forum and in touch with us. We’ll do our best.

3 Likes