According to the People’s Committee in District 11, several teams have been established to examine

Hi everyone . I have a question and hoping that someone can help me :slight_smile:
This is a multiple sentence in the online newspaper from my country . I think that this complex sentence is wrong because this have 2 main verb ( establish and are ) in one sentence, so i will replace " to make " by " and make sure that " . Besides,
" socially distancing " is also wrong . It should be fixed " social distancing " because distancing is noun in this case

“According to the People’s Committee in District 11, several teams have been established to examine local restaurants and eateries to make sure customers are socially distancing.”

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to our forum. The sentence you have posted is correct. “customers are socially distancing” is a sentence in the present progressive so ‘distancing’ is not a noun but part of the verb.

2 Likes

Social distancing is a new term that has entered our vocabulary in the last year. I think social distancing is a stand-alone term referring to a single practice, as opposed to the adverb socially modifying distancing.

As for the rest of it :

several teams have been established
( for what purpose? )
to examine local restaurants and eateries to make sure customers are social distancing

2 Likes