A word in your ear: Nerve

It is an informatical article but i want to please change my position intermediate level to the next batchlor position anyway thanks allot for sending email free of cost

hi alan
please help me
sometimes i got confused what to use with the word “things” do or does?
oblige

varuna

Hello Friends !

Sometimes I must nerve to do something. It help me for example tell something on public or learn long time to school. It get on my nerves sometimes. It just when I must calm my nerves. It is also when somebody has cheek (a nerve) to talk something bad about me behind my back. It really get on my nerves. I think there is no problem to lose nerve in this very fast and often irrational world. Often people have bundle of nerves, because they are worried or frightened. I think that people must take care of their nervous system to be happier.
Sorry, maybe I have some mistakes, but I want to improve my English.

So hold your nerve !
Peter

Hello,

I can’t understand this sentence “That girl’s definitely got nerve (courage)”. Is it right grammatically?

Regards,

Yes. ‘Nerve’ is a noun in this context.

I have always enjoyed your article and helpfulf tidbits of information of proper uses contained therein.
However, I would have prefered a full tuition in the English language that could earn me a diploma of profociency. I love to take test that would assess my competence; thus, gives me the self assurance and confidence in my everyday contact.
This is the help I really need.

Dear Alan,

I like your recent essay as much as I like the others.

Nerve- the first thing what I remember nervous system.

In nutshell:

Nervous system can be central nervous system which consists of the brain and spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system consists of sensory nerves and ganglia (clusters of neuron) and nerves connecting them to each other and to the central nervous system.
There are sensory nerves and motor nerves. The first send signals to the central nervous system of the state of body (ache,illness, temperature, tastes etc) the second connect the nervous system to muscles and other effecter organs and it is responsible for their function. If there is an illness of this system can happen from the paralysis to the death everything.
There is also autonomic nervous system that controls the processes which are unconscious, for example the process of heart beating.

How happen the transmission of the perceptions? It is a very complex process. But every stimulus transform into a nerve-impulse and this arrives to the central nervous system and there happens a response to the stimulus.

Nervous breakdown one of mental illnesses in which somebody becomes very depressed, anxious and tired, and cannot deal with normal life.
I used to teach children with mental illness so I had to mention this.

Regards:
Kati Svaby

Hello Alan,

I would like to write some collocations or idioms with the word: nerve

suffer from the nerves= worry, nervousness,anxiety
-I always suffer from nerves when I have to speak in English.
-Even after years as a singer, he still suffers from nerves before a performance.

nerves (pl) = feelings of worry or anxiety
-I always suffer from nerves when I have to make a speech in front of a lots of people.
-Have a drink of whiskey to calm your nerves before you make your speech.
-I need something to calm/ steady my nerves.
-He lives on his nerves.= he is always worried
-Everyone’s nerves were on edge. = Everyone felt tense.
-Some people suffer from nerves every day.

to be a bundle of nerves / bag of nerves = this idiom is used to show you are nervous about something
-I was a bundle of nerves before my big job interview.
-I’m a bag of nerves today. - I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
-Everyone’s nerves were on edge.= everyone felt tense.
-I was a bag of nerves on my exam.

to get on somebody’s nerve=to annoy somebody
-We really started to get on each other nerves when we lived in that small apartment.

• That ringing phone is getting on my nerves.

lose one’s nerve = you become too scared to do something
-Did you go sky driving or did you lose your nerve?
-I was going to try bungee jumping but I lost my nerve.
-Don’t lose your nerve now - you promised to come on the roller-coaster with me.
-I was going to have a go at parachuting but lost my nerve at the last minute.

to have nerves of steel = to be very brave, fearless and have courage.
-I think all firefighters have nerves of steel
-You need nerves of steel to be a Formula1 racing driver.

to hit/touch a (raw/ sensitive) nerve =to mention a subject that makes sb. fell angry, upset, embarrassed etc.
-I think I hit a nerve when I mentioned she was getting fat. I wish I hadn’t said anything.
-She looked really upset when you talked about her 40th birthday. You really touched a nerve when you discussed her age.
-Be careful what you say to him. Try not to touch a nerve.

to have lot of nerve = to show great rudeness; a lot of audacity or brashness
-You took my seat! You have a lot of nerve sitting there!
-Did you hear what he said to her. What a nerve! I’m not surprised that she hit him!
Expressions: What (a )nerve! Of all the nerve! You have a lot of nerve! That took a lot of nerve! =they express insolence
-I don’t know to have the nerve (cheek) to show your face after what you said!
-He’s got a nerve (cheek) to asking us for money!
-Then she demanded to see the manager! ‘What a nerve !’
-What a nerve! Please leave me alone.

-“I gonna get what I deserve I got nerve.”-from a song. /I got courage./

be nervous about/of sth
-He is very nervous about the future.
-The horse may be nervous of cars.

nervous glance/smile/ voice =one that shows that you feel anxious
-He took a nervous glance at me.
-He gave me a nervous smile.
-‘I promise’-he said in a nervous voice.

nervous wreck = stroppy, wired, easily annoyed and difficult to deal with;
-If I put up with (tolerate) any more misfortune, I’ll become a nervous wreck.
-By the time the police arrived, I was a nervous wreck.

You can say nervy when you are anxious and nervous.

Regards:
Kati Svaby

I think people should take control of their nerves I mean try not to get irritated easily. In my country, people get angry easily and we use the adjective nervous when someone is very angry. Let me tell you that you are amazing Mr Alan Townend thank you so much

Dear Allan, Thanks a lot for your innovative method of increasing vocabulary. Gopal Sharma

Dear Alan,
Hi
Thanks for all emails and possibility to learn and improve my English with you. I am so happy to receive each lesson from you but I do not enough time to read all of them.
My first language is Persian and I’d like to improve my english language because I need it very much at my work.
Let’s spend a little time with you to improve my writting every week.
Best Regards
Your’s Sincerely,
Ali Ismaeli From Iran

Hello Mr. Townend,

thanks for all the newsletter you sent to me.

Best regards

thank u for sent to me essay i really don’t know how to speak english and how to read and how to write that’s why i want to say thank u so much dayoo

Dear Alan,
I want to thank you for your emails that i normally received every week. Indeed its very help ful for me,
thank you very much,
Malakai

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for your post!

It is short, concrete and very helpful !

Best Regards,
Lili

Hi Alan,

Once. my husband and I with our four year son took a newly married couple from oversea to a hotel in PD. While we were having tea near the pool, our son quietly walk into the swimming pool. My husband notice later, so I ran to the pool, walk into the deep water to save my son. As I recalled that incident it was nerve racking for me.

Thank you.

Catherine Tan

Is there any phrase like ‘bundle of nerves’. If yes what does this means?

I was a bundle of nerves when I sat my final exams.

I was extremely nervous.

Thanks Beees