Writing: Should we give money to beggars?

In this specific one, I did not think too much, I wanted to be more “natural” to see how ideas came to my mind. I’d like to hear what you think! :laughing:

Some people suggest that it is wrong to give money to beggars asking for money on the street, while others think that it is the right thing to do. Which point of view do you think is correct, and why?

Along my life I have seen so many people asking for money on the streets every time I drive my car in different areas and even countries. Few of the people would roll down the window and extend their hand to give beggars some help; it could be food, money, or goods. In my opinion this act is reflecting humanity, and I will be discussing why I feel that way in the following sentences.

To begin with, I find the idea of helping others magnificent, because that way the person who is in need may find peace. We never know what the story behind people we see on streets is. Might be a person who had struggled a lot and is just trying to get a piece of bread or a place to stay therefore when one gives even a small portion of their wealth could be a significant amount for them. As an example, I remember this time when I arrived to one of my friend’s place and noticed a new man around, he was living in the streets for days because had to run away from a difficult situation at home; so my friend offered him to stay over couple of days while he could find out what to do. After knowing his story, we all helped him, and he felt so much alive.

To continue with the idea that helping beggars is something good, I can relate my aunt’s generosity. Every two weeks, she prepares bags of a complete lunch for several people and gives it for free in a street where a bunch of people in needs locate. At the beginning, she mentioned, was somehow terrified due to the amount of guys around her, but not so many time after she started it she started to feel more secured because those persons where just like me or her, with the exception that in that particular time they were unlucky or were passing by a difficult moment. So according to her experienced, helping others makes you feel that you are contributing to society.

In conclusion, I believe we can enjoy helping others even if you do not see it as a huge thing, it could make a great difference for others.

2 Likes