Writing practice: independent essay 2020

Our current way of life will have a negative impact on future generations. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?

While most people believe that our modern living will lead to a positive impact on next generations, I strongly disagree with this idea. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.
To begin with, technology plays an important role in our lives and we will increasingly be continuing using it but this increase might also being seeing in social distancing since we can simply turn on a device and have a conversation with another person. In my opinion this could reduce a person’s ability to socialize in real world, that is, less talkative during face to face. My personal experience is a compelling illustration of this. Couple of years ago I was in a demanding job where I had limited personal time and because of this I was spending more time texting with my friends instead of being in an actual physical conversation; then there was this time when I had a night date with a friend who brought two more people in, unfortunately I felt so uncomfortable because I was not used being in public spaces neither to follow a face to face conversation.
Furthermore, home education has changed throughout life history and that is because life styles are more demanding that both parents need to work, in contrast with 20-30 years ago, only one member of the household was out working while the other (usually the mother) would stay at home to take care of the children. However, today is most common to have children by themselves at home or being taking care of by an older sibling. For instance, when I was a kid my grand mother thought me how to cook amazing desserts after school and me and my mother used to work on the front yard for couple of hours before leaving to school; in contrast, my nephew and niece spend more than six hours by themselves just watching television or playing on their tablets.
In conclusion, I strongly feel that today’s way of life will not benefit the future generation because technology is already taking away social skills and demanding life styles are reducing family time.

384 words and 40 minutes :upside_down_face: I would really apreciarte your help my pointing out my errors.

2 Likes

I think you need to describe in more detail which aspects of our life might have a negative impact on the way future generations will be living. Also, you need to address issues like climate change, inqualities, aspects of globalization, overconsumption, mass production, etc.

2 Likes

Got it! great advice, I may need to create more complex topics/examples. Thanks!

2 Likes

Not necessarily more complex topics but just cover the main aspects related to the topic. You can first do some brainstorming and write down only keywords rather than entire sentences. Oh, and please note the difference between the noun ‘advice’ and the verb ‘advise’:

3 Likes