Writing module: Essay: Money as reward towards exception performance in an organisation

Topic: Some employers reward members of staff for their exceptional contribution to the company by giving them extra money. This practice can act as an incentive for some but may also have a negative impact on others. To what extent is this style of management encouraging employees to work hard.

Money is an integral part of our lifestyle. Great performances by employees in an organisation is usually rewarded in different ways. Giving money to the best employee of the year is a common trend in most organisations. Though this is a good way to motivate employees for working hard and engaging them in a positive competition, some people opine that this may not be the right way of encouragement. People of this thought feel there are better alternatives to reward. In my view rewarding money in combination with other motivations is the right means to get the best out of performances.
No matter how cordially we deny the fact that we do not work for money, the reality is we are never satisfied with what we get. More is always a welcome as it gets us to fulfill our needs from life and lead a fruitful life. There are definitely other factors such as job satisfaction, passion for work, relationship with co-workers, career prospects that determine satisfaction to work in an organisation, but the underlying beta fact is Vitamin- M i.e. money, that you get paid every month. From this regards additional money as a reward for exceptional contribution by a staff is the best way to motivate him or her.
Some people argue about better ways of motivation for an exceptional performance like allowing extended holidays, giving crest. They also think that giving money to the employee has a detrimental impact on others. I quite disagree with this from my personal experience. I work in a multinational company where more than 2000 people work. Last year the best employee of the month received a cash price of $500 and a certificate. This worked quite well as most employees in different teams wanted to emulate the same for prestige and money. I am certain that other forms of rewards would have motivated employees for a short period but would not ignite the performance competition among employees in a long run.
I would like to conclude, saying that money with proper recognition for the best that we do will always inspire people to work smarter and harder.

2 Likes

Hi Girish, I think you did a very good job with this essay.
You have addressed the topic well, although you might want to make it more clear that you realize the prompt is talking about additional cash bonuses on top of a standard salary. In your first body paragraph I think you are saying that the standard salary works, so additional monetary payments will also be effective, but you could be a little more explicit in making that perfectly clear. Your English is generally quite good, but you do have a few minor errors and word choices that could be improved.
Here are some specific suggestions:

1 Like

Hi Luschen,

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate all of those and points noted to be implemented in my upcoming posts.
I am preparing for my IELTS General exam so request you to also validate me on a band of 10

Regards
Girish Jaiswal

1 Like

I think this one might sneak by with a band 7 score.

1 Like