Worth twice as much as, three times as much... as

Hi you all,

Is it correct to say: ‘My team is worth twice as much as what you’re offering to pay for it.’
'My team is worth three times as much as what you’re offering to pay for it.

If it is correct, could omit ‘what’?

Thanks.

They are correct but unnecessary, and you cannot omit “what.”

My team is worth three times what you’re offering to pay for it.

That is what I’d prefer.

Hi Mordant,

Thanks for your reply: But is it also possible to say: My team is worth three times more than what you’re offering to pay for it? I’m asking you this question, because I found this sentence on the internet:

• Pensions Policy Institute says public sector schemes are worth three times more than private sector equivalents.

Thanks.

Hi Alexandro,

In your last sentence, two words are elided that would be repetitions if included:

• Pensions Policy Institute says public sector schemes are worth three times more than private sector equivalents (are worth).

Your first sentence uses ‘three times as much as’ rather than ‘three time more than’, and it contains two different verbs. Nevertheless, I would say it would not be uncommon for people to omit ‘what’ in a sentence such as that one. You might say it would be understood this way:

• [i]My team is worth (an amount that is) three times as much as (the amount that) you’re offering to pay for it.

[/i]
On the other hand, you will never see the word ‘what’ omitted in the alternative version that Mordant gave you:

• My team is worth three times what you’re offering to pay for it.

The word ‘what’ will always be included in that sentence, even in casual conversation.
[color=darkblue]___________________________________________________________
[size=75]“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” ~ Henry Ford[/size]

Thanks ESL-Expert, you’ve been a great help too!
Alexandro.