works -- vs is working

hello

He (works — is working) as a salesman . It is a temporary job

He (works — is working) as a salesman . It is a permanent job

which is right ?

Both are correct and there is no difference in meaning. Both can be used with ‘temporary’ and ‘permanent’.

I think Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeed is referring to the use of the present simple and present continuous cause we often use the present simple to talk about the facts or permanent situations while the present continuous is used to talk about things that are happening, of course, or temporary situations.
So, if we say: he is working as a salesman, maybe it’s his permanent job.
What do you think Bees?

Hi Ahmeeeeeeeeeed,

‘He is working as a salesman’ suggests that’s his current job - it can be temporary or permanent. He works as a salesman states this as a fact telling you that’s his job.

Look at this conversation:

A What do you do for a living?

B I work as a teacher.

A What about your daughter?

B She is working as a nurse.

Alan

I understand the point you are making, but use of simple present or continuous present in itself has no bearing on whether the job is permanent or temporary.
Both “He works as a salesman” and “He is working as a salesman” could refer to a permanent job.

Even if you were to provide additional information, then there is not necessarily a difference (though a preceding question might be different):

“What’s he doing now?”
“He is working as a salesman on a part-time basis until he finishes in University.”

“What does he do now?”
“He works as a salesman on a part-time basis until he finishes in University.”

Hi Bev,

Who is your post directed to?

Alan

Hi Alan, I was a victim of tabbed browsing again! I opened a set of tabs and worked my way along them. By the time I got to this one, you had already posted, but I didn’t refresh the page to see that.

I meant I understood the point that Thuyngyun was making, I wasn’t disputing your point.