Words 'shave', 'swim', wash', 'drink' in plural form

Dear teachers,

Normally, we say: To have a shave, to have a swim, to have a wash, to have a drink…

Can the words “shave”, “swim”, wash",“drink” have the plural form?If yes, please give me an example for each one.

Thanks
Tung Quoc

Hi Van,
No, you cannot say to have a shave and so on in plural form but to have drinks and to have a drink have quite different meanings.
To shave=to have a shave
to drink=to have a drink
NB.these expressions are of semi-conversion :smiley:

Hi Pamela
What leads you to believe that you’re answering questions from Van? :wink:

It is possible to make expressions such as “have a shave” plural, but it would be unusual in many cases. If I were to do it, I’d replace the word a and add an s to the final word:

He had such a heavy beard that he often had to have several shaves during the course of a day. (I consider this sentence to be unusual and it would usually be worded some other.)

However, have a drink is easily made plural and it’s quite normal:
He had a few drinks after work.

Dear teachers,

I’ll have a wash before dinner.

=I’ll have a bath before dinner. ?

Best regards
Quoc

P.S: Could u give me an example with “wash” and “swim” in plural?

If I answer your question, will you promise to stop writing the word you without the first two letters? :wink:

Amy

Dear teacher,

I’m sorry for that. Next time, I’ll write “you”.

Best regards.
Tung Quoc

Thanks very much, Tung Quoc. :smiley:

It would be quite unlikely that you would need to use “have a wash” in the plural. I don’t even use that expression in the singular. :shock:

Using “have a swim” is more probable as a plural:

Even though I’ve already had two swims this afternoon, I think I’ll have another.

Amy

Dear teacher,

I don’t understand:

"
It would be quite unlikely that you would need to use “have a wash” in the plural. I don’t even use that expression in the singular. :shock: "

That means:

a. “have a wash” is never used in singular?
or:“have a wash” is never used in plural?
Could you tell me an example where “have a wash” is used in plural?

b. “Have a wash” and “have a bath” have the same meaning?
When I say: I’ll have a wash.

That means I only wash a hand… or I wash all my body?

Best regards
Tung Quoc

Hi Tung Quoc

I don’t use the expression “have a wash” at all. So, I can’t give you an example using either “wash” or “washes” because both expressions sound strange to me.

I would say either “take a bath” or “have a bath”.

Amy