WHY PEOPLE GO TO MUSEUMS?

TOPIC: Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visits museums?

Many places have museums where their ancestors’ works are stored. Nowadays, many people visit museums when they travel to new places. In my opinion, I think that people go to museums due to the following reasons.

First, people visit museums to see special collections there. Each museum has its own unique collection. Lourvre Museum in Paris has the masterpiece by Leonardo Da Vinci: Mona Lisa portrait, Florence has David sculpture by Michelangelo. By visiting these museums, we will have chances to directly view rare works, which we only see on television, by our ancestors.

Secondly, museum also provides visitors with knowledge about history of the place where it is located. When I and my family visited Vietnam, we went to the National Museum in Hanoi, where we were able to learn a lot about history of Vietnam. The tour guide showed us a number pictures of Vietnam in the past there. We also saw many interesting items exhibited in the museum, such as rubber sandals, which were often used by Vietnamese soldiers. Through all of them, I somehow figured out the hardship of Vietnamese people, who had lived under the domineering Chinese empire. I understood that they had to struggle against war after war in order to gain the peace today.

Last but not least, by visiting museums, we can perceive the cultures there. Each region has its own cultures and they are displayed in handicrafts and customs made by native people. When we go to museum, we can easily find such items and understand more about the local people. Bangkok National Museum, for instance, has a large collection of lustrous handicrafts, which is made by Thai people. It also owns many unique golden costumes that are worn in celebrations in Thailand. When I went to this museum, I felt very excited and of course quickly understood a part of culture in Thailand.

In short, museum is a very interesting place to visit. There, we can see rare works of our ancestors, understand more about the history and culture of local communities.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the young man have grapes for lunch?