Why do you think... VERSUS Do you think why...

Hi teachers :smiley:

Is there any difference between the following sentences?

[color=blue]Why do you think your art programmes are so popular?

Do you think why your art programmes are so popular?

Are they both the same in meaning?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

Hi Jupiter
Your first sentence asks for an opinion.

It’s fairly unlikely anyone would say the second sentence. (Other verb tenses or wording would be more typical.) But, as your second sentence stands, it does not actually ask for an opinion. Instead it asks whether someone ever thinks about or considers the reason for the popularity.

Amy

Hi Yankee

Thanks again for your answer.
I’m more clearer than before, but I can’t differentiate between their answers.
Could you please give me the sample answers to both questions?

[color=blue]Why do you think your art programmes are so popular?

Do you think why your art programmes are so popular?

Thanks so much

Jupiter

Hi Jupiter

Here are possible ways to [color=blue]reply to each question:

Why do you think your art programmes are so popular?[color=blue]I think it’s probably because they’re so creative and well-planned. And our advertising also seems to generate a lot of interest.

Do you think why your art programmes are so popular? [color=blue]“Yes, I always do.”
(Maybe the person knows that the only reason is that the programmes are popular is because they’re extremely cheap. So, for example, he doesn’t want to consider any expensive improvements since that would just cost money, raise prices and possibly eliminate the main reason the programmes are popular. Therefore, it’s important to always keep in mind the reason why the art programmes are popular.)

Amy

If I may put in my tuppence worth here, I’d like to add that the use of commas in the first sentence can make a difference in meaning:

Why do you think your art programmes are so popular? means that you think your art programmes are very popular and I’m asking you why you think so. We are not sure they are popular, though.

Why, do you think, your art programmes are so popular? means that your art programmes are very popular and I’m asking you what, in your opinion, the reason for it is.

To avoid confusion, I would suggest rewriting the second sentence as follows:

Do you ever stop to think why your art programmes are so popular?

Or simply:

Do you ever wonder why… ?

Hi Conchita :smiley:
It’s amazing what a pair of commas can do. :smiley:

Jupiter, I’d be interested in knowing where your second sentence came from. Were those 2 sentences a little test you made for yourself? Or did you find those 2 sentences somewhere? Or did somebody give you those 2 sentences to sort out? 8)

Amy

Thanks Yankee and Conchita,

Your explanations are really helpful.
Actually, I create the second sentence by myself. But the first one is taken from New Headway Intermediate. It looks similiar and my friend and I found it hard to differentiate between them. So far, I’m more clearer about it.

Thanks for your trouble

Jupiter