why do people work?

People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work?

People work for different reasons. Some people, for example, work for money. From my opinion, I claim that people work for three main reasons including need`s for communication, showing abilities and amusement.

To begin with, communicating with other people would be a reason why people work. All human beings like to communicate with others and share their ideas in order to satisfy some of their needs. Working could provide an opportunity for them to reach this goal. For example, when you have a job in a company or in an office, you have lots of coworkers with various personalities. Or as a taxi driver you meet different people each day and you have a chance to talk with them, express your own opinions and get theirs. Therefore, working is a way for people to connect with others.

In addition, some people want to show their abilities by working. Many people attend colleges and universities and learn some skills. Some others acquire special abilities during their lives. They need to find a way to employ these skills and show what they have learned. Thus, they try to find a job in accordance with their capabilities.

Finally, in some cases working is a method for amusement. There are a group of people who are wealthy enough and do not need money for live. In their perspectives, working could make them feel excited and get rid of the boringness of their lives. As a result, they want to work to entertain themselves.

To sum up, I think that people work to connect with other people, show their abilities and entertain themselves.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and her student

Hi Bjeddi, I thought your essay was pretty good. You have addressed the prompt well and provided some good reasons. Your essay seemed a little shallow to me though - providing some more detailed examples would be a good idea I think. Your writing was very clear, but the vocabulary and sentence structure in this one seemed pretty simple. Overall, I would rate this a 4 out of 5.