Why do people say Master or Doctor of Philosophy in a subject instead of Master o

I’ve been wondering why people say Master of Philosophy in English instead of Master of English? Although both are grammatically correct, they seen to have different meanings.

In some countries the degrees contain the exact name of the field of study, but in English the terms are broader.

I have never heard of a Master of Philosophy degree. We generally have Master of Arts and Master of Science, although there are also the Master of Business Administration, Master of Social Work, Master of Fine Arts, etc., which are more specialized degrees.

When we name the degree, we also name the field of study, if it is important to the situation. For example, I have two degrees:

– a bachelor of fine arts in painting (a BFA in painting)
– a master of arts in linguistics (MA in linguistics)

In many cases, its enough for the situation to say I have a BFA or an MA and not to specify the subject.

It makes foreigners angry when we translate their doctorates into English as “PhD in Natural Sciences” or something like that, because in their own language their degree is “Doctor of Natural Sciences”. However, that’s not what we call the degree in English.

That’s it. PhD in…is doctor of philosophy in… I think master of philosophy is inferior to doctor of philosophy. And after teaching some other people to be other masters and doctors, you will become a professor? Well, a master of arts in linguistics. That’s great. I think you must be at least 35 yo, mustn’t you?