Why Byton is doomed to failure in Germany

Torsten Daerr (@TorstenDaerr) Tweeted:
@BYTONcars In Germany the Byton doesn’t make much sense because we neither have the infrastructure nor the political will to switch to electric. We love our diesel technology so much that we’ll be clinging to it until the bitter end. https://twitter.com/TorstenDaerr/status/1088312616785715200?s=17

3 Likes

Hi Torsten. I am curious again about the poisonous effects of dieselfired engines again. As we all know operating fossile fuel driven engines produce exhaust gases. In ancient times it´s been the carbondioxides that disturbed. Well german car providers answered that issue by developing materials that allowed higher combustion temperatures, due to the fact that on higher temperatures less CO2 was produced but on the other hand the rate NOxides raised. Now since in the USA noone cares about CO2 but Noxides german automotive industry got accused to have provided the USA with fake clean cars. But is it really this? Now in Germany pneumologists claim the whole hype about NOxide-poluiton were just a hoax. And between all these arguements providers for electrical cars come up and claim to have found the only clean solution. Opposers claim that the voltage for those cars as well as the manufacturing of them would need this much fossile fuel processed energy that all the benefits they show on the first glance in the end would exceed the the life time circle of a diesel driven one. So what to believe. I am no more sure.

2 Likes

what I wonder is if it wouldn´t make better benefit to lower the combustion temperature so that car engines produce less NOX but more CO2 that can be worked over by trees for fertilizer and returns O2 back for us to breathe.

2 Likes

Here is how I see the situation: It is a worldwide consensus that combustion engines cause global warming. As a result, more and more people start substituting the traditional cars with electric or hydrogen based ones. This is a process that is going to take several years but certainly not several decades. Look at how many electric cars are now being sold in China. In Norway 50% of all new cars are electric. The shift from combustion engines to electric motors has already started but still many Germans think this only a trend or even fad that soon will end and then the entire world is going to buy our fantastic German diesel cars again. The transition from combustion engines to electric vehicles is as irreversible as the shift from steam trains to electric trains or from analogue phones to digital ones. Just look at the numbers and you will see what kind of changes the next few years will bring. The German car manufacturers have become way too complacent to be able to catch up with those companies leading the field. All the Germans are left with now is trying to maximize their damage control. The times when German engineers were leading the field are over.

2 Likes

I’ve read that the Norwegian government introduced a law banning cars with combustion engines by 2025.
And every 3rd new car sold in Norway is electric.
They already live in the future :sunglasses:

2 Likes

`Hello sir Torsten, and sir miot,
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_I_reduce_the_CO2_emission_at_combustion_process

2 Likes

What is the difference between the following cars:-

1. Compressed-air car.
  2. electric car.
  3. hybrid car.
  4. solar powered car.
  5. hydrogen car?
2 Likes

There are two alternatives to combustion engines – electric and hydrogen. A hybrid is a combination of both. There are also cars like the Sion by Sono Motors which in addition to an electric battery they use solar panels to generate additional energy from sunlight. The main difference between fossil fuel based cars and electric cars is that the latter can use 100% renewable emission free energy.

4 Likes

Hi Mona, thanks for the link. I read some of the posts there and found out that there is one commentator who refered to hydrogen as the only emission free fuel. I am not sure if the chemical energy gaining of energy in fact doesn´t generate emissions. After all the result of hydrogen based energy is H2O, pure H2O. What a great imagination.

2 Likes

Thanks, sir. I do not understand all that. I have only some of the culture, but I’m not highly qualified as you, so I posted the link. I’m just a simple elder villager.

3 Likes

Peter Altmeier, Federal Minister of Economic Affairs and Energy has just tweeted that the Germans should be making efforts to restore their trust in German diesel technology. Instead of promoting the future, the German government is trying to cling to the past. Happy days.

2 Likes

On the German isle of Sylt the local traffic company launched an autonomous shuttle bus service. It’s a relatively small vehicle that can carry up to six passengers and it is 100% emissions free.

2 Likes

Living in the countryside near the Ruhrgebiet sometimes the idea comes to mind, that the german gov. also is thinking of a return to analog data transfer.
The problem is that a bit it seems as if this government compromises to those people that stick to the national romantic party called the “Blaunen”.
For sure it really would create a huge chaos if germany battered the old technology all at once and all of the sudden. But a reasonable change to other technologies would make a better benefit.

2 Likes

Natalia, can you please tell by which energy the autonomous shuttles are driven and what the costs are for the pessengers?

1 Like

Hello Miot! The bus runs on electricity and the service is free of charge for now because the project is still in its trial phase. The approach seems similar to Waymo’s but on a much lower scale.

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like