Why Business Basics is rather useless

The vast majority of all ESL (English as a Second Language) textbooks are overpriced, boring and sometimes downright useless. Here is an example. In the ‘International’ edition of Business Basics by Oxford University Press, there is a so called ‘language note’ on countable and uncountable nouns. Here are the examples used:

Do you have any cigars? No, I don’t have any cigars – or any cigarettes.
How much whisky do you have? Two liters.

Interestingly enough, they use the British spelling of ‘whisky’ in the question and the American spelling in the answer (liters) but maybe that is to show how ‘international’ they are. My point is this: Why in the world would they ask for cigars and whiskey? How international is this? It’s common knowledge that in most Arabic and Muslim countries any type of alcohol is forbidden and who smokes cigars or cigarettes these days?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Queuing at the airport[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes, good points. That’s the consequence of commercialized languages. It’s like selling family silver. I mean there are things not to be too quick to commercialize. Myopia.

kind regards.

It doesn’t have anything to do with commercialization whatever that might mean.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Sitting around a table[YSaerTTEW443543]