Whichever method to do

Judges should follow whichever method of deciding cases will produce what they believe to be the best community for the future.
Can I replace method of deciding cases will produce to method of deciding cases to produce or method to decide cases to produce? Why?

1 Like

To my knowledge, it should be:

Judges should follow whichever method of deciding cases as to what they believe to be the best community for the future.ā€™ it feels better.

I also looked up the following:

Judges should follow whichever method of deciding cases they believe best serves the future community.*

I hope this helps ttt555666

1 Like

So method of deciding cases to do does not work, right?

1 Like

I can only say whether itā€™s right or wrong if you phrase the complete sentence with:

The part in italics, ofcourse. If you do that, Iā€™d have a better guideline to tell you whether itā€™s right or wrong.
Iā€™m patiently awaiting your answer. Moreover, I really want to help you, you know.

1 Like

Itā€™s like this: Judges should follow whichever method of deciding cases to produce what they believe to be the best community for the future.

1 Like

Hi ttt555666

Yes, it is grammatically correct. Although the sentences I gave are better alternatives for readability and clarity. But as I said, itā€™s grammatically correct, you can use it if you like, but donā€™t be surprised if
some people might get confused. But, the message is clear.

Hope this helps,
Hope to see you again soon.

1 Like

Thank you for the replying. I have more question about this: is this infinitive to produce a modifier which modifies the method or a adverbial modifier modifying the verb follow?

1 Like

Hi ttt555666,

It modifies ā€˜methodā€™. In fact your entire phrase is actually an infinitive phrase which gives more or addtional information about the chosen method.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

By the way, if you have other questions, feel free to ask them. Youā€™re more than welcome. I may not answer immediately after youā€™ve posted, but I will certainly make time for it. Is that okay?

I was a little absent-minded and thatā€™s why I wrote, ā€˜feel free to answer them.ā€™ I apologize.

Have a nice weekend.

OK. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi ttt555666,

It seems to me that you already have a fairly good grasp on the English lingo. Thatā€™s why I hope youā€™ll appreciate my advice.

• Firstly, I would say: Thank you or thanks for replying.
  • Secondly: you write: I have more question about this; you can say: ā€˜I have another question about thisā€™ / or when thereā€™s more than one question you want to ask about the same item or when thereā€™s more than one item you want to ask questions about: ā€˜I have more questions about this.ā€™ When thereā€™s two or three items, etc, then you can even say: I have a few more questions about this, or 'I have three/ two more questions about this.
  • Thirdly: ā€¦a adverbial modifierā€¦ should be an adverbial modifier. Why? Because adverbial is an adjective starting with a vowel and then the indefinite article should be used +n

Strangely enough though, there are words such as ā€˜hotelā€™ that can take either form, such as:

I checked into a hotel/ I checked it into an hotel. In the latter the ā€˜hā€™ is not voiced, so you donā€™t pronounce it like in ā€˜un hĆ“telā€™ in French.
ā€˜to check into an hotelā€™ is a phrase in the lyrics of one the songs of the musical Chess by Bjƶrn Ulvaeus, Benny Anderson (yes, the boys/ men from ABBA) and Tim Rice.

So, if I can help you, do not hesitate to ask or to knock on my door as they say.

Love,
Marc.

I would stick with ā€œa hotelā€.

ā€œAnā€ is also considered correct, but in practice itā€™s extremely rare for someone to say ā€œan hotelā€ or ā€œan historianā€.

The vowel-consonant rule is a good rule of thumb. But a better method is to just say it out loud. Use whichever article is easier to say. It helps to include the words before the article also.

For example:

Iā€™m going to a hotel.

This would probably be said ā€œtoah hotelā€.
Pronouncing the ā€˜nā€™ makes it awkward to say.

Also keep in mind that there are two distinctly different pronunciations for the word ā€˜aā€™. It can make a difference in the flow of spoken English.

If the H is silent, like in ā€˜honestā€™, then you always use ā€˜anā€™.

1 Like

Thank you for your wonderful explanation. I too shall bear that in mind. Itā€™s very valuable to me.
But I donā€™t necessarily have to agree. You see hereā€™s the phonetic transcription of the following sentence:

/aÉŖ Ź§É›kt intoahotel/

You really ought to listen to the pronunciaton. In the following link toPhonetics
simply type ā€˜I chekched intoahhotelā€™. and youā€™ll hear it doesnā€™t sound natural, really, not even in American English. Iā€™m not being nasty, Iā€™m merely telling you what I heard.
I do agree, however, that ā€˜an hotelā€™ is rare, but since I heard it in Chess, sung by British and American artists, I thought: ā€˜Why not mentioning it?ā€™

You see Dan, Iā€™ve come to grips with a lot things and the only thing I want to do now is LIVE MY LIFE TO THE FULLEST, because in 2018 I was nearly killedā€¦ Iā€™m still scared, someone will try again. So, having this forum serves as a good means of taking my mind off things, because it was something I will never ever forget and I still have nasty dreams about it.

She says it very fast. Otherwise it sounds completely natural to me.

1 Like

( referring to ā€œa hotelā€ vs ā€œan hotelā€ )

It should be mentioned because itā€™s common enough that an English learner will see/hear it sooner or later.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thank you, Dan.

Yeah, but the British pronuncuation doesnā€™t sound so good. But itā€™s only some computer generated, blablabla. you know.