Which vs Which one

What is the difference btw “which” and “which one” in:

a.One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which.

b. One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which one.

Thanks
K

Hi,

This is a case of being precise/specific or not. If you ask someone to choose from a selection of chocolates, you can say simply: Which would you like? or if you want to more precise: Which one would you like?

Alan

In addition to what Alan wrote, here is my comment:
[color=blue]one => which one
[color=red]more than one => which ones

(You have enough money to buy an additional program for your new PC.) Which one do you want?
(You have enough money to buy a few additional programs for your new PC.) Which ones do you want?

If you only say “which”, it will often be unclear whether you’re referring to just one or to more than one.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Please read again:

a.One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which (one).
b.One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which (ones).

Is “it” in this sentence impersonnel?
If yes, the real subject is which one(s) and:

1. Can I aloso say:

c.One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which (one) does not matter.
d.One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which (ones) do not matter.

1. a and c are the same meaning?
    b and d are the same meaning?

Thanks
K

Hi Khahn

It’s best to forget about using “one” or “ones” in your particular sentence. The word which (alone) works the best.

Your sentence starts off with “one or more”, so it is therefore better to use just “which” in the second half of the sentence because it’s unclear — “Which” can refer to “one” or “ones”.

In order to use one/ones and produce a completely logical sentence, you’d have to write something like this:

One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which one or ones.

Amy

Please read:

One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which one or ones.

a/ “It” here is impersonel? (Please answer “yes” or “no”).

b/ If yes, “which one or ones” is the real subject of the sentence.

So, can I write again this sentence without changing the meaning:

One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which one or ones does not matter .

c/ Please tell me the differnce btw:
Your sentence starts off with “one or more”.

and:

Your sentence starts with “one or more”.

d/ When seeing :

N1 +Or+ N2 + V

The verb is in accordance with N1 or N2?, as in:

One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which one or ones does not matter .

Thanks
K

a/ Yes, an impersonal “dummy pronoun”

b/ —

c/ In my sentence, start off = start/begin

d/

This is a good example of why using the word it is better. Then the verb agreement isn’t a problem. :wink:

Using the words one or ones in the sentence “One or more of a number of people or things , especially when it does not matter which one or ones.” is complete overkill. The words “one or ones” are completely unnecessary and redundant.

If, for whatever reason and despite my advice :roll:, you absolutely must say “when which one or ones does not matter”, then it is fine to use “does”.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Again about this subject.

1/ Please only tell me correct in grammar or not correct in grammar.If not correct, please tell me the reason and fix it:

a. One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which one or ones does not matter .
b. One or more of a number of people or things , especially when which does not matter .

2/ Can you tell me the rule for the accordance of the verb with: (In general).

S1 + or +S2 + V

For you, the is in accordance with S1 or with S2 or with both?

Many thanks
Khanh