Which preposition is used with "resume", 'on' or 'from'?

Which preposition is used with “resume”, ‘on’ or ‘from’ or either?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I am having trouble thinking of a time when I would use a preposition with resume. Usually it is used with a noun as a direct object or a gerund as a direct object.

Now I can resume my book.

Now I can resume reading my book.

Now I can resume answering your question.

Now I can resume my answer to your question.

2 Likes

‘Resume’ doesn’t function as a phrasal verb and so isn’t used with either preposition. It is mostly used in a formal way meaning ‘start again’. It can either be used as a transitive verb with a direct object - The Committee resumed talks with the staff next day. It can also be used as an intransitive verb - The television programme resumed after engineers had discovered the problem.

3 Likes

Maybe at this point it’s worth mentioning that there is also the noun resumé which in my understanding is the American version of a British CV.

1 Like

Yes indeed. In English we would pinch this French word and use it to mean ‘summary’ as in - This is a resumé (can’t do the accent on my keyboard) of the plot in tonight’s play.

2 Likes

We use the same French noun in German albeit with a slightly different spelling: Resümee.

PS: Hope is OK that I’ve added the accent aigus to your resumé.

1 Like

The word resumé also exists in Russian: резюме

1 Like

Thanks to all of you for the answers.

I’m surprised that ‘resume’ cannot be used with a preposition. But the following links from fraze.it have example sentences with ‘resume on’ and ‘resume from’.

https://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=resume+on&l=0

https://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=resume+from&l=0

1 Like

In the examples you are referring the prepositions are not related to the verb resume but to other words. For example, the meeting will resume on Friday. Here, the preposition is part of the collocation ‘on Friday’ and not related to the verb resume. You could also say ‘We’ll continue discussing the issue on Friday’. Please let me know if this makes sense to you.

1 Like

Thanks, Torsten.

Your explanation makes sense, but my original question was “Can ‘resume’ be used with ‘on’”?

The meeting will resume on Friday. (In this sentence, I take it that ‘resume’ can be used with ‘on’.)

3 Likes

Actually, your question should be: do we use the preposition ‘on’ in connection with ‘Friday’. In your sentence ‘will resume’ is one unit and ‘on Friday’ is another. There is no logical link between ‘resume’ and ‘on’. Your sentence could also read ‘The meeting will resume at 9:30am tomorrow’. This doesn’t mean that you can use ‘resume’ with ‘at’ because the preposition ‘at’ depends on the time 9:30am and not the verb ‘resume’. Please let me know if this makes sense to you. Many thanks.

Thanks, Torsten.

It’s clear now.

1 Like