Which or not which (I saw my houses which had been...)

Please read:

a.
I saw my houses which had been destroyed by the storm.

b.
I saw my houses, which had been destroyed by the storm.

Are they both correct only one of them is correct? Please tell me the diffrfence in meaning.

Thanks

Hi

In my understanding, in (a) you mean seeing ALL your houses destoyed (and can equally use that),
whereas in the second - only those (of your houses) that had been actually destoyed.

Generally about which-that and the proper punctualtion (commas), take a look, for example, here:

rightwords.co.nz/that.html

Thanks,

But you know, when I write:

Most of people add “,” after “houses” and I don’t know why :?

The " saw my houses which had been destroyed by the storm" is wrong in grammar???

Thanks
K

I can only say that I, personally :), often put extra commas (doing punctuation mistakes and distorting the meaning of English sentences) only because in my first language participal phrase/clause (as well as dangling participle, like storm [,] destroying my houses) ALWAYS should be enclosed in commas – without exceptions.

Thanks

Hi,

So, If I have 3 houses and I saw all my 3 houses destroyed, in this case , when I write:

You can’t correct into:

I saw my houses, which had been destroyed by the storm. (in the mentioned situation)

OK?

Thanks

I’m not sure whether the use of comma is correct or not in the mentioned situation (when you you see all your houses, all of them have been destroyed and 3 = 3 :slight_smile: )

In this case I consider both are acceptable (with a bit different emphasis), but I’m not native.
Let’s wait :slight_smile:

Ok,

We wait together.
:?
Bye.
K

You may place comma if my houses, which had been destroyed is attributive relative clause. So, it’s up to you to make a right choice. Make a try :wink: