Which makes them intelligent vs. which make them intelligent

Hi, in the following paragraph the phrase ‘which makes them intelligent’ certainly is meant to relate to the fact that the microprocessors make the panels intelligent. But couldn’t the subject also be the microprocessors themselves requiring the verb ‘make’ instead of ‘make’?

They contain heating elements to prevent snow and ice accumulation. The panels have microprocessors, which makes them intelligent. This allows the panels to communicate with each other, a central control station, and vehicles.

1 Like

I don’t really think so. The format of these sentences is reason -> result. So the reason is the panels have microprocessors and the result is the panels are intelligent. I don’t see any way that the microprocessors being part of a panel would make the microprocessors smart, but I guess in a completely different context it could work.

2 Likes

To me, the comma matters.

The panels have microprocessors, which makes them intelligent. (Here what we mean by which is the fact of the panels having microprocessors).

The panels have microprocessors which make them intelligent. (Here what we mean by which is the microprocessors)

2 Likes

I think you’ve just hit the head on the nail, Lawrence.

2 Likes

Thank you, Torsten, for concurring with me.
(May I point out that there is Spoonerism in your sentence.)

3 Likes

It’s the result of trying to compose messages before waking up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope you will edit to correct it when you wake up! Have nice dreams.

2 Likes

I meant ‘you’ve just hit the nail on the head’ of course :wink:

2 Likes