Which is the correct adverb?

You guessed wrong/wrongly?

Which is the correct adverb?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi,

It is ’wrong and wrongly’ are both adverbs, meaning incorrect.

1 Like

Hi Masme,

Could you please elaborate on your reply?

2 Likes

Well, Kohyoongliat,

I looked up wrong and wrongly in the Cambridge dictionary. So both are adverbs and I copied two sentences from it for you to take a look at:

‘wrongly’ can co go either before or after its verb as in the first sentence; you can change it as follows:

• He even wrongly spelled his own client’s name.

‘wrong’ always follows its verb as in sentence 2. Yet, using ‘wrong’ as an adverb is considered incorrect, so I would recommend using ‘wrongly’,

In my opinion, your sentence should read: You guessed wrongly.

I hope this is useful information.

3 Likes

Hi Kohyoongliat,

I’m happy we’ve patched things up. I’m sorry for having been rude. It was not my intention.

2 Likes

Hi Masme,
Actually, there is nothing to be patched up. The was caused by my taking too long in perusing your reply before I complimented it with a heart when I found your reply was a good one.

Another point, as I stated before, was my posting an identical thread twice. Somehow I failed to locate and delete the second thread, thus giving you an impression that I didn’t accept your answer and doubted your expertise!

I hope my explanation succeeds in clearing the misunderstanding.

PS. I have observed that you always do your best in replying to a poster’s question or questions. Keep it up!

I also notice that you sleep very little. In the day, you are busy at the forum, and at night you are also busy there. The day and night are based on my region’s time. You seem to have a lot of energy.

3 Likes

You get something wrong but you do something wrongly.

4 Likes

Thanks, Alan.

Could you please elaborate on your answer? Could you also give a couple of example sentences? Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Hello,. @Alan

Could you please elaborate on your answer, which I requested earlier?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I think @Alan will agree with me when I exemplify the concept for Kohyoongliat.

I answered three questions wrongly in Chemistry but I had only one answer wrong in Physics.

3 Likes