When classmates or colleagues communicate about a project in person instead of by e-mail, they will produce better work for the project. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

I should be grateful if you could provide your feedback. And, Happy New Year!

Communication is the heart of every teamwork. Thanks to nowadays technology, people can communicate to each other through different medias; e.g. Telephone, Email, so on. Although some people prefer to take advantage of such technologies to coordinate a project, I prefer the conventional method, i.e. in person. I believe, meeting in person can result in saving time for all members of the group, in addition to improving the peer’s social skill.

Every day is our bank account, and time is our currency. Thus, it is important how we spend and dedicate time to our tasks. I think, setting a specific location and sharing time that is convenient for all group members is more economic than waiting for email response. In this case, people take the responsibility of replying others’ concerns immediately and also prevent from possible misconception. Moreover, email is considered as a formal way of communication which involves some standard rules of writing, redundant sentence or phrase at the beginning and end of email such as “Dear …” or “Best regards.” Can you imagine how many unnecessary words should be included in each email and how much time does it take for spell checking?!

Furthermore, face-to-face collaboration enables us to boost our social skills. Participating in each group meeting requires interacting with others through discussion. In this case, you share your concerns and difficulties which may even open a new door for unexpected ideas. For instance, I remember the first term project that we had to conduct in a 3-person group when I was attending NYU as a graduate student. Since all the members of my group lived at the dormitory, we decided to have meeting every night at a study room. I have to confess that this regular meeting continued even after finishing the term project! Beside from the closeness that this project made happen to us, an amazing idea, that later published as a conference paper, born within our discussion to solve a much simpler problem.

To sum up, teamwork is inseparable from our daily life, however it should be beneficial for all members. I believe, the most efficient way to communicate in this regard is face-to-face. In person meeting brings about a time saving approach in addition to cultivating the interpersonal skills.

2 Likes

Hi Amir, welcome to our forum and Happy New Year. Your essay is quite interesting and in order to give you more detailed feedback it would be great if you first could tell us a little bit more about your goals for 2020. Why exactly do you want us to assess your writing skills?

1 Like

Dear Tosten,

Thanks for your prompt respond. To be honest, I will take the TOEFL exam on 4th January, 2020! Since I want to increase my chance to get admission from US universities, I try to get +25 in writing section. I know this essay does not show that quality, but I will never give up until my exam. Thank you in advance for helping me through this matter.

Best regards,

2 Likes

So what do you want to study and why do you want to study in the US instead of at home?

1 Like

My major is Electrical Engineering. Why study abroad? Because I love living in different countries and also my goal universities have great reputation of the field that I want to do research on (Machine Learning).

2 Likes

Very interesting. What podcasts on machine learning, deep learning, AI and technology in general do you listen to and what articles do you read?

1 Like

I follow Yoshua Bengio, and Yann LeCun. I also attended Andrew NG online course at Coursera. Frequently, I watch these guy’s talk on Youtube.

2 Likes

If you are really into AI and machine learning you need to subscribe to podcasts covering these topics such as Techtonic by the Financial Times, Singularity University, Google Developers just to name a few.

2 Likes