What is your native language?

Capisco anche un po’ di italiano quindi benvenuto nel club :wink:

3 Likes

Molto grazie!
Molto grazie

2 Likes

How come you can say so many phrases in so many different languages? How and why did you learn them?

2 Likes

Turns out I’m pretty good at learning languages. I was fairly fluent in French after one semester in college. As to saying hello in other languages, I’m really a people person and I just like connecting with people. So what better way to make a foreign person feel welcome than to say hello in their language? Americans aren’t known for being culturally diverse so it usually surprises people and puts them at ease because it let’s them know I’m
not ‘anti-foreigner.’ So for example with my Korean dry cleaner and I have a great rapport just because I could say hello and thank you in Korean. Probably her only American customer who does that. Other bits of languages I’ve learned were from college professors, co-workers and restaurants.

3 Likes

Hi Torsten,

My mother tongue is Thai. I was brand and raised in Thailand and moved to US fifteen years ago. I started learning English since I was secondary school and I love it ever since. Learning English is long journey for me. I have been trying to change my bad habits when speaking English, but it needs lots of demanding to conquer it. Anyway, I am still practicing it every day as possible. I believe practice makes perfect.

5 Likes

Hello Elle, welcome to our community :wink:. It’s great that you are here, because your story is very exciting. I have so many questions.

For example, where in Thailand did you grow up? How often do you go to Thailand to visit your family?

Last week I met a Thai-German couple who met as students in Heidelberg and then decided to develop an app to help Germans learn Thai. Their story is fascinating and now I meet you, isn’t that interesting?

3 Likes

My mother tongue is Vietnamese which is a perfect and valuable language that is one of the toughest languages in the world. I so admire foreigners who can learn my language. In recent days, I have attempted to learn the second language is English, I figure out its diversity and variety. This helps me to be here. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Thank you so much for reply and having me here.

I grew up in Bangkok. I usually go visit my family every year until pandemic happens. I have no idea when it’s gonna stop. I hope next year things would get better then I can travel to Thailand.

Yes, it is interesting and I believe they are smart people as well. Developing app is not that easy at all in my opinion.

Have you ever been to Thailand? I miss Thailand a lot, except its Government. They let people die on the streets during pandemic and doing nothing to solve the problems. I wish some miracles happens in Thailand.

3 Likes

My mother tongue is Persian (Farsi), learning Italian atm but tbh, I feel I have slowed down big time when it comes to my speed of learning. Sigh. It was much easier when I was a kid.

5 Likes

Nice to meet you, Elle

3 Likes

Hi nhanhtree1998, Nice to meet you as well.

3 Likes

I recommend that you do not publish your email address here, as it could be intercepted by email harvester bots whose job is to collect and sell email addresses to e-commerce websites, which in turn flood your email inbox with spam messages.

6 Likes

Thanks teacher, I done.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

it is very interesting to read your comments and see where everyone comes from.

I am from Ukraine and came with my mother to Germany when I was 3. I grew up with Russian and German at the same time. When I was little I didn’t understand that these are two different languages and I often spoke a mix out of it, which was really funny for my family and sometimes a bit disturbing for my little friends. :smiley:

In school I learned English and French for years but both with less motivation and fun. Until my father send me to California a year when I was 17, my English was terrible.
In the USA it become fast better because I wanted to communicate and to hang out with friends. So my motivation was clear.

Now I am already 31 and I am very happy to speak Russian, German and English, because I can travel the whole world and communicate with a lot people. Also I am a German teacher now and languages are a big part of my life. I startet to learn Spanish now. Btw, I am looking for a training partner. Maybe someone who speaks Spanish wants to learn German? Let me know, we could meet weekly online. That would be nice :slightly_smiling_face:

Bye Daryna

4 Likes

Hello Every one, I am Indian and my native language is Hindi.

3 Likes

Hi Sonu, welcome to our forum and thanks for sharing your language background with us. Can you please also tell us when you started learning English and how often you use it?

2 Likes

Death is inevitable - for languages or for any living or non-living things - Though it is not a good thing to be felt.
New things take birth (it maybe language people sand rocks etc) and old certainly will die.
Maybe a myth though - Some say that Native Americans came from Indians (or the people now being
called as Indians). Sanskrit is the oldest language which is almost dead - this was spoken by old Indians (may not be the same Indians who exist now)

3 Likes

My Native Language is Telugu (which will disappear in 50 to 100 years). I live in India.
Not related to this Topic though - Thanks to this Forum - From many people I have learnt a lot! To name few - @Alan, Torsten, @Anglophile. Apologies if I forgot other names!

This Forum is more user-friendly - unlike StackOverflow where Admins, without any deliberation or conversation - ruthlessly delete Topic or mark them based on their rigid policies.

4 Likes

I agree with you, and we have already begun to exterminate our own species by following the ideology of infinite economic growth. If we do not reverse this harmful path, the number of new generations of human beings will be extremely limited.

3 Likes

I’m afraid I cannot agree with you,@msn.
A language which is current, widespread and active in a country like India will only flourish. Don’t be pessimistic. Telugu is one of the Dravidian (South Indian) languages known for its culture, heritage and literature. Each State is vying with one another to enrich its own language and retain its status. Your language, believed to be used by more than 75 million people, is one of official languages in the country. The Union Government is constitutionally obligated to envision measures and postulate policies for the development of Indian languages especially the 22 languages that now stand recognized. Do you think the Telugu populace will disown the language that they have inherited over ages? To be living in a multilingual region of the earth with Hindi and English as the official languages for a billion plus population is something which we need to be proud of! That’s why India is known for her unity in diversity! Contribute to the growth of your own language as well while you are evincing interest in the English language.
Avoid making such disparaging public statements lest you should be labelled unnational!

4 Likes