what is the "voke track"?

Hello every body,

I need help in this what is the “voke track” a student switched to the :lol: voke track

Thanks

Can you give us some more context, please? Where did you come across this phrase?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How much interest does First Bank pay?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,
I read this in a novel, the student is in high school and instead of taking the college track to enroll in college after graduation from high school, he switched to the voke track. What I understood is that it means he is not planning to continue his education.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Lady Sun

The word ‘voke’ is probably a short form for the word ‘vocational’.

Students who are on a ‘vocational track’ are preparing specifically for a job or a specific trade rather than preparing for university. Many of these students will have further job-specific education and practical training after high school at a ‘vocational school’.

Hi Yankee,
Thanks a lot for your great help,
I’m very glad I joined this forum, everyone is helpful and nice

Hi Amy,

How popular is the term ‘voke track’ in the US? I mean, does the average American know and use it?

Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Radio commercial for insurance products[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

I admit that I didn’t think your question was actually serious.

How did you interpret my use of the word ‘probably’?

What conclusion(s) can you draw from the fact that I was making an educated guess?

Why do you think I might be able to tell you whether the average American knows and uses that expression?

Were you actually suggesting that I should attempt to give you general information about American usage?
What a shocking concept! :shock:

Hi Torsten,

Did you like the latest comment from Lady Sun?

Alan

How very nice and helpful your off-topic post was, Alan! What a guy!

My pleasure - that’s me all over!

Alan

Oh, you are just too funny, Alan! What a wit!

Now, if Torsten will just answer my questions, that will really make my day!
You did notice that I asked Torsten some questions, didn’t you, Alan? If he doesn’t happen to respond, perhaps you could help out even more and very nicely let him know they’re here – waiting anxiously to be answered by him. :wink:

Here is how I see the voke track issue: At some point a learner of English registered on our forum as “Lady Sun” to ask a vocabulary question. Shortly after that she received a response from Jamie which made her happy. Then she had another question regarding the term ‘voke track’. Amy was the first forum user to give Lady Sun a useful answer and since the term was new to me, I asked Amy if she knew how popular the term might be. I admit that I should have read Amy’s response more carefully since it was clear that she was making a suggestion as to what the term might mean. Now, it’s obvious that Lady Sun somehow came across the expression and it’s quite possible that someone else will ask the same question. So when they google the term ‘voke track’ they will find Amy’s definition and if they want additional information, they can register on the forum and ask their questions. Our forum is open to anyone who is interested in the English language and we all can learn from each other.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from an arts class[YSaerTTEW443543]

I didn’t initially believe your question was serious. After all, lately you have been harping on the fact that there isn’t really much difference between AmE and BE.

One of the reasons I finally asked you those questions, Torsten, was that you misrepresented what I wrote about ‘voke track’ in that write-up you did about me.

I suppose you might have misinterpreted the fact that I didn’t answer your question to mean that everybody and their brother here in the US talks endlessly about something called “the Vok track”. Although I can easily imagine the expression “voke track” or “voc track” being used, I have no idea just how much people might actually use it.

Don’t you think a little bit of direct communication prior to posting such things might be preferable?

Thanks for pointing this out, your profile has been changed. By the way, Lady Sun probably came across the term ‘voke track’ in John Updike’s novel “Terrorist”.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor discuss World War II?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Interestingly, a Google search for “voke track” results in only 8 hits. One of the hits is this thread and a couple of the hits refer to a different sort of track. :lol: It seems Updike viewed the expression “voke track” as completely understandable in the context. So did I.