What is the English equivalent of пляжник?

I’ve just realized that there doesn’t seem to be a translation of the Russian word пляжник into German or English. What I have found is ‘beach party’ or Strandparty which of course is wrong because a пляжник or a пляжница is a person who likes spending time on a beach.

So, пляжники of this world, please suggest a good English word that describes what a real пляжник is all about. :sunglasses:

1 Like

How about “beach bum”? To me it literally means the kind of guy who lives in his van parked by the beach who spends most of his time surfing or laying around on the beach drinking beer and/or playing guitar. But it can also mean someone who just loves spending time at the beach.

2 Likes

‘Beach bum’ is not bad, but a real пляжник probably doesn’t drink any alcohol on the beach but is engaging in truly beachy activities. At least that’s my understanding of him or her.

1 Like

Hi,
Actually I chech “ пляжник“ on google translate and I found it is mean on the beach.

1 Like

Ok here is my last thought
When people want to meet. For example: party or tea time. They usually asking for where we will meet. And they decided on the beach.

1 Like

You mean you ‘checked the word пляжник’? As we gave established, it doesn’t mean ‘on the beach’ as Google Translate claims.

1 Like

Hi, Torsten,

How about ‘beach goer’?
Found on: English-Russian Multitran dictionary

2 Likes

Yes, ‘beach goer’ certainly explains what a пляжник is but it doesn’t sound half as pleasant as пляжник and it is made up of two words instead being just one word. So I guess ‘beachnist’ or ‘beachonist’ would be much better :sunglasses:.

1 Like