What is the difference between e and e that is the upside down in pronunciation?

Thank you very much

Hi Lvar,

The ‘upside down’ e is called ‘schwa’. It’s sort of a neutral vowel sound in an unstressed syllable. Look at this link and this link.

The vowel sound in the word ‘the’ (when it is unstressed) is a schwa sound.
However, the vowel sound (e) in the word ‘bed’ is not a schwa.

[size=75]“The empty vessel makes the loudest sound.” ~ William Shakespeare[/size]

Thank you Esl_Expert. Now it becomes much clearer after listening to your recording and the link from wiki.
Have a nice day